Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Cruze LTZ, with front and rear dome lights in which the front dome light module has the door on/off switch, and two reading lights. I am decided to replace the original with a module from a Buick Verano (part # 22856790), which has backlighting for the buttons, as well as an accent light. I found, on a polish Chevy forum, a thread in which someone did the swap, but didn't have a sunroof. To power their backlight, they bridged the power from pin 1 to pin 3, and therefore had constant, full brightness power going to the backlight, which I did not want. I also found a post on the Sonic Owners Forum in which the same essential swap was performed, but they again didn't have the sunroof, and ran a wire from behind the dash, near the driver door, up through the window frame, which I also did not want.

The reason the sunroof is important is that the rocker switches for the sunroof are backlit, and dimmable... I decided to piggyback the dimmer source from my sunroof switches, but had no idea which wire was the dimmer wire. To figure it out, I took a small Christmas light, plugged the ends into two of the sunroof switch sockets, and tested dimming... It worked! Lit, and dimmable. I ended up connecting my bridge cable to the YELLOW wire going into my sunroof tilt switch, and the other end into the 3 pin hole of the dome socket. I haven't properly connected the end going into the dome socket, or properly spliced into the yellow wire yet, but here is proof of success. If anyone else has been considering doing this, here you go.

IMG_20150512_220546946.jpg IMG_20150512_220641678-01.jpg

Sorry for the sub-par pics. My cell phone isn't great in low light.

I'm also considering running the dimmer wire, as well as the constant 12v from the front dome socket to the middle dome, and swapping in the original front dome to provide map lights to the rear passenger area... This should be doable by running the wires along the edge of the sunroof, and fishing them through the ceiling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I live near, and work in, downtown Detroit, MI. I would love to find a junkyard with newer cars, but I don't think there's anything nearby other than the ones with 10 yrs and older. I paid $30 for the part. Same guy has them on ebay for $40 right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts