Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We shall see how well the aftermarket turbo works! Going on the airboat so it will be put to the test hard. Rebuilding this one as cheap as possible to get going so I can take the other one and build a near bullet proof one with BNR parts.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Subscribing to follow how the aftermarket Turbo's are working.

Any update on how it's going?

I see RockAuto is listing an Standard Motor Products for around $650. At that price I'm not sure there's enough savings to justify trying their product over the price of GM OEM.

I've always wondered in the ebay listed products for rebuilding the Cruze Turbo are any good. Guessing it's a china knock off, but for $145 for the cartridge it's a cheap price to pay to play. The question becomes are these even close to the requirements of the North American Turbo.

We've all been burned by China before. What it does tell us, is that there are folks developing options for the 1.4L. This is the first I've heard of the Dorman unit.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cruze OEM turbo's made by Garrett turbo least gen 1 is. .Garrett a very good turbo maker, who makes a lot of turbos from small ones to heavy truck use. Would want to know a after market is made by a good manufacture.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So is it the same as OEM, just another manufacturer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill let yall know... just ordered it and it will be a few days before I tested... It is a chinese knock off but its not in a car so if it goes boom I want be too worried...

I thought I had a turbo seal failure but existing turbo may be ok and I may not even use this one now when we swap motors next week.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
brlcla-

Did you end up installing and testing the Dorman Turbo? How does it hold up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't put any hours on it... Got it installed and the used motor I bought blew! Then went through another used motor when I pulled the intake PCV was full of oil and trash and the timing cover gasket was compromised at the motor mount location (indication of too much crank case pressure)

Ended up buying a brand new OEM long block ($$$) not want I wanted to do but it should be delivered this week for reassembly of everything... may see if my original turbo is in good shape before I use the Dorman.

I sent a ton of oil through the pcv passages and into the turbo/intake when I cut the rings on Cyl #1 and #4, so not sure the turbo survived that amount of liquid compression on the OEM... but I bought the Dorman as a backup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just put a Dorman in my 2012 Eco at 186k. Got it for $475. Not enough miles yet for eval, but I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, I finally got back home long enough to drive the Cruze after the turbo replacement. Not happy, but I don't think it has anything to do with the turbo. Still feels like lack of turbo boost, but not getting a P0299. It's not a total slug like before. Instead I'm getting P0020, P0132, P0134, P0135. Valve timing control and oxygen sensor issues. I'm thinking the mechanic pulled something loose or pinched a wire somewhere. He's a good old boy mechanic, can rebuild a carb blindfolded, but his specialty is custom exhaust systems, so he lacks the tools for troubleshooting this sort of thing. I'll have to take it to another shop.

As far as the Dorman turbo kit, it was a nice kit. Complete with o-rings, seals, gaskets, new exhaust clamp, and turbo/manifold nuts. Other turbos I looked at required purchasing those items separately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed a Dorman into my 2011 LT. Although the job is a pain because of the two hoses behind the manifold, I was really impressed with Dorman's kit. It had every line washer you would need, the manifold to pre-cat gasket, bolts, exhaust manifold gasket, clamps, caps, etc. Two things it does not include which I'd recommend: 1> The turbocharger oil return line - mine was brittle and cracked (~$40 at the dealer, part# 55587854) and 2> A pre-cat to exhaust pipe flange. It's a 3-hole design with 2 holes even with each other on one side. You'll likely need to either get both at a dealer or your favorite alternative. RockAuto didn't have the hose and nobody local stocked either that or the exhaust pipe gasket. You might think you'll get away without taking the pre-cat off since you can take it out that way, but I can almost guarantee you that you won't get it back in with the pre-cat still there.When you change the turbo, be aware of the plastic oil return line that is clipped to a bracket just above the oil pan. If you aren't careful, you will easily break it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bumping this thread... for those who have installed the Dorman turbo, how has it held up? My girlfriend's Cruze has been throwing the 0299 code for the past month or so, and it would be great to save a few hundred bucks...

Reliable? Any issues thus far? Input would be much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed one end of Jan. on my daughters 2012 eco with 127k. The turbo has been trouble free so far, about 3000 mi. on it.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,146 Posts
Installed one end of Jan. on my daughters 2012 eco with 127k. The turbo has been trouble free so far, about 3000 mi. on it.
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Cruze just threw this infamous turbo failure code and I’m looking at a new turbo. I’ll probably try the Dorman at $390.00. Can’t beat the price.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Does the Dorman come with manifold, wastegate actuator, and everything else pictured here?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Does the Dorman come with manifold, wastegate actuator, and everything else pictured here?
from what I can see from Dormans site it looks like it does. I will check one out when I get to work on Saturday to verify as we have one on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
from what I can see from Dormans site it looks like it does. I will check one out when I get to work on Saturday to verify as we have one on the shelf.
Might be worth taking a look at the turbo itself while you're at it.
If it's the genuine OEM Garrett, then it should be as good as OE.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Mechguy78- Have you guys sold a lot of Dorman units? Or had complaints? It appears that you can get an OE GM for about $490 from dealers, but it doesn't have all the gaskets, nuts, and exhaust flange that the Dorman appears to have. A lot of those parts are available on Rockauto if you search by GM part number. They aren't listed in the car directory part of the catalog.

It seems like all the searches out there are aftermarket Turbo haters. Based on the Rockauto catalog Cardone is also doing a turbo rebuild on these. Lots of players coming into the market. But it's the time to do it again if their quality doesn't cut it.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Mechguy78- Have you guys sold a lot of Dorman units? Or had complaints? It appears that you can get an OE GM for about $490 from dealers, but it doesn't have all the gaskets, nuts, and exhaust flange that the Dorman appears to have. A lot of those parts are available on Rockauto if you search by GM part number. They aren't listed in the car directory part of the catalog.

It seems like all the searches out there are aftermarket Turbo haters. Based on the Rockauto catalog Cardone is also doing a turbo rebuild on these. Lots of players coming into the market. But it's the time to do it again if their quality doesn't cut it.
I won't address specific companies but most of these aftermarket parts are just chinese turbo cores. These can be imported for as little as $112 apiece.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.30.2711694f7bSKo2

At those profit margins, they can afford to replace two or three under warranty and still not lose money. Unfortunately, you're the one that ends up doing the work. The OE GM turbo is a genuine Garrett turbo. They are actually quite reliable, with most of them failing due to a wastegate actuator failure or lubrication failure caused by GM's cheap oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts