Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am currently tuned through v-tuner. I am hoping to get a BNR Down pipe and ZZP Mid pipe. I have heard that even with the high flow catted Mid pipe people are still getting engine lights or (CEL) . This is a problem as I live in the great state of NY, where I have to plug in my car to get a sticker/NYSI. I don't want to switch my exhaust every year before I get an Inspection. Also I don't want a CEL for P0420 causing my ECM to force a closed loop, which could run 12.1:1 all the time (not sure on this car but other cars I have seen do things like this). So obviously one option would be to bite a pricey bullet and purchase a Trifecta tune and have them delete the P0420 code from ever coming on, or i could try messing around with different extenders. I have access to a welder and could weld in a o2 bung any where in the Mid pipe if anyone knows of a better place that would be more out of the flow of oxygen.

I know that is a lot of Info so in summery,

1) has anyone ran a full catless system without a trifecta tune? With no CEL's
2) has anyone used extender's/ defouler's to trick the o2 sensor reading? If so what kind? ex.(90deg, straight and length , size of hole used etc)

I appreciate any help anyone has to offer!

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you're running no cats, you'll need to tune. Period. Vtuner might help you for a smaller charge. You can mangle some different shapes extenders and it might help, but doubtful.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well vtuner can tune it and im fine with the retune charge but he wont turn off codes like u can do with the trifecta tune due to liabilities which i understand. I just dont want to buy a tune through trifecta since i already spent almost 500 on a vtune.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think your going to put yourself threw a lot for very minimal results power wise.Why not put on a cat back system with high flow muffler if you want more noise.I know Vtuner told me a while back when he tunned my car that there was not a real lot to be gained as the stock exhaust flows very well.For the money you would do better running a meth tune.And get a 20 hp power increase

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the plan I had was to have an electric cutout in the midpipe. I like quiet exhaust when cruising around or long trips. I would like to open it up right off of the downpipe for maximum noise. And I know flow in the exhaust is mostly backed up by conveters not muffler. I know I can place my stock catalytic converter in place if needed for inspection. The real knowledge I need is defowlers. I had a 2004 gti I had one on at a 90deg and it never threw p0420. just about every other code but no 420. I just want to know if anyone has had luck with them on the cruze

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just to clarify, I have always offered cat delete tunes with the P0420 disabled as a tune update option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts