Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Downshifting to slow down in a diesel - Is it hard on components?

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  diesel 
#1 ·
So I really like using the manual mode when coming down a steep hill in my CTD to control the speed. It's not really necessary, I just enjoy doing so. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is hard on the engine or transmission to be downshifting to slow down coming downhill. If it is, I'd stop doing it as brakes are a lot cheaper than an engine or a transmission.

What are everyone's thoughts?

#2 ·
I use low gear all the time, big trucks rely on it. My Dodge truck has the exhaust brake and it's recommended to be used. I would say as long as you are not going fast, like over 30, and shifting to 1st, you should not be doing any harm. This transmission has been used on many other cars and has a solid reputation, the engine should have no issues. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#10 ·
It will, but this is because the converter is locked and by slowing down the rpms go low enough to make the car want to downshift. The op is asking about using the engine at the same time as or before the brakes, to remove wear from the brakes. Which is completely fine and works relatively well on a diesel.

#16 ·
I've always used the transmission to slow the car down since day 1. Doesn't seem to have hurt anything, however I am not sure if that contributed to the cold flaring on the 2-3 or 4-5 shift I have now. I would tend to think that was more of a lack of timely fluid changes than the downshifting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.