Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this post is based partly on experience and partly on theory, please chime in if you have some additional info. Recently I experienced a "DPF Full" message followed by "Engine Power Reduced". I drove it straight to the dealer and they did a manual regen. It's been 2000 miles since then with no further issues.

Here is what (I think) caused the issue. I had driven the car home the night before and parked it in the garage. I believe it had started a regen. I interrupted it by shutting the car off. The next morning I drove (not very far) to the tire place for new tires, shutting off and interrupting another regen. They started and pulled into the garage and shut off, interrupting a 3rd regen. They started and pulled out of the garage and shut off again - interrupting a 4th regen. I believe after 3 failed regens, especially in the case of quick start-shut off-start-shut off like what happened to me. At first I thought the DPF had gone bad already, but now I think it was just a case of unfortunate timing.

So, diesel owners, pay attention to the fan running after you shut the car off if you know you will be making very short trips, starting and shutting off repeatedly. You can save yourself a trip to the dealer. Do I think this is an ideal situation? Absolutely not. However, this is the first time in 120K miles that anything like this has happened to me so it doesn't seem very likely that you will time it exactly right (or wrong) but it's just something to keep in mind. The basis of my theory is some information i received from another member about the euro diesels and when you interrupt a regen 3 times in a row, it can cause the "do a regen NOW" message. My car has likely gone through at least 2 if not 3 regens since the incident and been fine.

Just wanted to share this with all you diesel owners.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more supporting evidence. user "DieselEnvy" had this same issue a while back, and when I asked about driving habits, this was the reply:

"Anyway, this past week/weekend, I made more short trips around town than usual, and I hadn't been out on the highway for a longer trip in a couple weeks... Dunno..."

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
They started and pulled into the garage and shut off, interrupting a 3rd regen. They started and pulled out of the garage and shut off again - interrupting a 4th regen...

...when you interrupt a regen 3 times in a row, it can cause the "do a regen NOW" message.
Based on what you wrote, I have a suspicion that the guy moving the car at the tire place might have gotten the "keep driving" message that warns you of your last chance to do a regen during that 3rd or 4th interruption, but either didn't notice it or disregarded it thinking it was something that didn't need immediate attention.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on what you wrote, I have a suspicion that the guy moving the car at the tire place might have gotten the "keep driving" message that warns you of your last chance to do a regen during that 3rd or 4th interruption, but either didn't notice it or disregarded it thinking it was something that didn't need immediate attention.
Yes, this was my thought as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think you an rev are correct, its only going to try so many times to complete an then the pcm says screw you an teaches you a lesson.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
like in another thread just keep driving one constant speed for at least 30 mins max and I think 15 as minimum

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like in another thread just keep driving one constant speed for at least 30 mins max and I think 15 as minimum
I guess the other part of this is that you need to pay attention to the display, assuming that is an option. In the other threads here, I don't think the "keep driving" message ever came up. I never had a chance to see those last two start-stop cycles as the tire guys drove it. I do wonder if it will regen in the reduced power mode. I didn't drive far enough to find out, I just drove straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Diesel what the dealer hit y I u for the regeneration

·
Registered
876 Posts
My diesel is a different model to that in the US- and Oz-built Cruze, this is what I do:

I have the DIC set to metric (Oz is metric, anyway) displaying the instant fuel economy, which drops to 0.0 when the DFCO cuts in, and I know most of the routes I travel, when I see it sitting about 3 l/100km higher than it should display, it's doing a regeneration, so I shift down to keep the RPM's higher than 2000.

Also, I keep an eye on the tachometer, during a regeneration it is about 100 RPM higher at idle, a dead give-away.

And finally, if I haven't given it a bit of a blast for a few weeks, I take it out late at night and do an out and back on the freeway, keeping the RPMs high. Easy for me as mine is a manual, learn to use the manual mode on the automatic to do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I have the Australian built Cruze and the rejen is made obvious by a roaring fan. If the car needs to be cleared I get a warning light to keep driving at 2,000 rpm or more until the light goes out, this has only come on once in 36,000km.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diesel what the dealer hit y I u for the regeneration
$225

I have the Australian built Cruze and the rejen is made obvious by a roaring fan. If the car needs to be cleared I get a warning light to keep driving at 2,000 rpm or more until the light goes out, this has only come on once in 36,000km.
I think i am going to order the Edge CTS so I can see when a regen is happening and monitor soot levels. I wish we had a light.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
$225

I think i am going to order the Edge CTS so I can see when a regen is happening and monitor soot levels. I wish we had a light.
I think that's your best bet. I think that unit provides the most information of all the things that are available to date. Shame that it is so pricey.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got the engine power reduced message last week. Had no idea, no warning light, no message etc. Dealer did the manual regen for free. Good info on this thread, I'll keep an ear out for the fan running after shut off. I would really like a better message on the display. I'll have to pay better attention, don't want to shell out $227.00.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The Edge CTS is a lot of money for something that you cant use to it's full potential. I called them to find out what they have for our Cruze TD and they told me that they didn't have anything available. Same for Bullydog.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My wife got the message once so I took the car up to the store and back. It's only about 6 miles, but I did it in 2nd gear RPM's above 3000. That took care of it we do have plenty of highway to drive around on, but I didn't feel like a long trip so I took a chance and it worked.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Something's up there. I work only a few miles from where I live and I don't typically travel more than 5 or 6 miles to get to where I am going. In the winter I must have interrupted the thing a dozen times over 4 or 5 days and it eventually finished.. no warnings. I was almost hoping it would warn me so I could see what it takes while the car is still under warranty (not sure if they would have covered). I justified it to myself that it was probably burning off faster than it was depositing more junk.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good points. I drove a lot in traffic last year during the winter, somewhat short trips with the occasional WOT burst but never had the issue. It seems as if you do at least some hard driving, it keeps things working.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Some good points. I drove a lot in traffic last year during the winter, somewhat short trips with the occasional WOT burst but never had the issue. It seems as if you do at least some hard driving, it keeps things working.
Yeah, I think you're right about the WOT bursts. We have a 1 mile long highway here that I use, probably once every few days. I remember over the winter a lot times if I was interrupting the regen a lot, I'd punch it through that stretch (easy to do because it is mostly uphill in one direction) and it would seem to finish it off many times, or it would not have much left after.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I drive an hour back and forth everyday mainly interstate and country roads. Funny thing is I have interrupted it a few times as well, it seems to always wait to start until I am close to the end of my drive. Never had any issues though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I mentioned this in an earlier post, my father was working with GM's TAC on a Cruze diesel he was working on at work. TAC told him these cars should almost never have regen messages or errors, they usually run very clean, and should regen on their own without any intervention. These cars should almost never have to manually regen. The car he was working on had underlying sensor issues, the sensors were covered in soot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts