Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to drain the coolant before replacing the thermostat housing? Will it dump a lot of coolant if I don't?

Have a 2015 with the 1.4l turbo and a check engine code for P0599 "Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High". No other symptoms or leaks evident.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
ANY time ANY work is performed on the cooling system. Coolant MUST be drained.

Unless you want to clean up a mess with possible fire crew being called on you.

Yep. Had that happen. Over floor soap. Which, when mixed with water. Turned to the color of green antifreeze. Other colors didn't exist back then.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is it necessary to drain the coolant before replacing the thermostat housing? Will it dump a lot of coolant if I don't?

Have a 2015 with the 1.4l turbo and a check engine code for P0599 "Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High". No other symptoms or leaks evident.

Thanks for your help.
You don't necessarily need to empty the system. But you want to drain enough that, once you start removing parts, you don't have coolant going everywhere.

Doug

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did mine a month ago, you don't need to drain anything. I put an oil pan underneath and it drained out probably 3/4 of a gallon. Bought a gallon jug to refill and that was enough. Rinse the engine off afterwards and good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Thebigzeus
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing