Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really short on time right now but i just installed a Draw-Tite hitch (24882) and i can't say i'm pleased with it.

I ordered a Curt hitch from Trends-Auto and was told a few days later it was back ordered. I can't wait for their redesigned hitch so i asked for a different brand. Don @ Trends was great to deal with and had the Draw Tite 2 day drop shipped to me an hour later, thumbs up to those guys.

Well, just got the hitch and the first thing i didn't like was the coating, it had a few tiny bubbles and imperfections, and was beginning to peel at the edges. One of which was already showing surface rust, so clearly it didn't happen in shipping.

The install was quick and easy, but after installing it i put in the draw bar, took a good look at it and realized something was not straight. I was very careful to square up the hitch before tightening it down, and the hitch itself was straight. The draw bar however, is not straight.

Not only can Draw-Tite not coat their metals, apparently welding two pieces of metal together in a straight line is beyond their manufacturing capacity also. It's clear to the naked eye that this thing is off by a good amount. I'd guess 3-4 degrees. When you look straight at the back of the car it's clear the draw bar is not sticking straight out. :angry:

If you look at the pic you can see the draw bar and hitch are not even on the same angle. Really draw-tite?

Overall this thing is a piece of **** and would be right back in the box, but unfortunately i don't have time to wait for another hitch to arrive so i'm stuck with it.

Just a heads up to others towing with the Cruze, avoid this product.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also ordered a draw tite hitch, when it arrived I went to install my yakima bike rack. Realizing it will not go far enough in to insert the bolt through the side, i removed it only to figure out there was a dent made to the side of the hitch, which left protruding bump on the inside. This is a tight squeeze for a chizzle/hammer combo, so filing it down is one of the very few options. This dent was painted over, so clearly someone during this process could of noticed the damage, possibly a reject working on the welding/forging process not happy with his job, or a "funny" prank. I obviously won't cut my 600 dollar bike rack short because of an imperfection on a 150 dollar hitch. Just as the original post stated, I also do not have the time to be bothering with shipping it back and waiting on a new hitch which could possibly have new imperfections such as a bent pipe. For future customers, I recommend staying on the phone and confirming with photos that the item is not damaged, save yourself the time wasted on machining down or re-fabricating. ALSO hitch ordered is 1-1/4. but is bigger by a 1/8 if not more, bike rack mating piece (which is slightly smaller by maybe 32 of an inch) causes audible rocking/knocking back and forth. Not necessarily the manufacturers fault but better communication between the two could of been done, just stating so future customers can be prepared with some sort of filler prior to there package arriving, maybe tape? Anyway goodluck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Draw tite hitch

I also ordered a draw tite hitch, when it arrived I went to install my yakima bike rack. Realizing it will not go far enough in to insert the bolt through the side, i removed it only to figure out there was a dent made to the side of the hitch, which left protruding bump on the inside. This is a tight squeeze for a chizzle/hammer combo, so filing it down is one of the very few options. This dent was painted over, so clearly someone during this process could of noticed the damage, possibly a reject working on the welding/forging process not happy with his job, or a "funny" prank. I obviously won't cut my 600 dollar bike rack short because of an imperfection on a 150 dollar hitch. Just as the original post stated, I also do not have the time to be bothering with shipping it back and waiting on a new hitch which could possibly have new imperfections such as a bent pipe. For future customers, I recommend staying on the phone and confirming with photos that the item is not damaged, save yourself the time wasted on machining down or re-fabricating. ALSO hitch ordered is 1-1/4. but is bigger by a 1/8 if not more, bike rack mating piece (which is slightly smaller by maybe 32 of an inch) causes audible rocking/knocking back and forth. Not necessarily the manufacturers fault but better communication between the two could of been done, just stating so future customers can be prepared with some sort of filler prior to there package arriving, maybe tape? Anyway goodluck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts