Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I saw, for the second time in 76,000+ miles the "dreaded" speedometer sweep to 100 MPH. The tach didn't move nor did the engine speed change. Stopped on level ground at a stop light so the clutch was in and foot off the brake. I tapped the throttle and the speedometer immediately came back down. Interesting to say the least, but frankly, for something that only occurs once every 18-20 months definitely not something to be wary of or worried by.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,224 Posts
Typical goofy computer ****.

I had a '14 300S (5.7L AWD) from work a couple years back, and on the way home, on a 2-lane road with absolutely nobody in front or behind me, the crash detection proceeded to warn me of an impending collision and told me to "Brake Now!". Then the mirror turn signals stayed lit until I turned the car off.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Two of my older vehicles, ha, I like older vehicles, reminds me of me. Have speedometer cables, have to remove, clean, and relubricate them occasionally or that dancing speedometer needle will make you seasick.

Vss is a small permanent magnet rod with a random wound small gauge magnet wire wrapped around in, placed in proximity to a cog gear at the input to the differential that fires small electrical pulses to the input of a microcontroller. Firmware stored in electrical erasable ram plays games with this pulse where it is sent to a digital to analog converter. These use to be very expensive and accurate devices, but now micron sized FETs buried in an extremely small switch. This outputs a proportional voltage that is applied to a voltmeter of the cheapest variety, good ones use real jewels for bearings.

Also just about the cheapest wire and connectors one can buy for connectivity, so don't wonder why you have problems.

DIC should be more reliable, don't even know why the Cruze has an analog speedometer, somebody put it behind the steering wheel so you can't even see it. What's really reliable is my GPS sitting on the left hand side of my dash.

Had a 380 mile drive yesterday on I-94 with a brand new 70 mph speed limit, Garmin said 65 so was reading in the red. Got me to thinking back when Nixon was president signing an executive order to reduce the speed down to 55, but over the years, was increased to 60, 65, and now 70 again. Do this call this progress? Right back to where we were some 40 years ago.

Today, we were suppose to be driving at 300 mph. Could to 160 mph in a plane, but can't afford the liability insurance anymore.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
But...but...digital is PERFECT! :)

- Joe
We have been able to ascertain from some odd ball also the typical Goofie balled experiencing these slight issues in the relatively past and are taking a mental note that we believe that this occurence is a glitch within the given peramiters and will only embarass the individual at any and all disreputable Stealership ..
Therefore be advised IT is functioning as designed !

Reactions: JoeInMilwaukee

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I had that happen on our 96 honda civic ex and it was the actual speedometer. The odometer was acting goofy too and finally stopped working.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I occasionally would experience this random technical glitch as well...thankfully there is a ecu/pcm update available which has fixed this minor issue.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Already had problems with my Cruze, was with the ignition relay with dirty contacts, wouldn't give a proper power on reset, and just about anything would go crazy. Resets the program counters to zero, where this none self correcting firmware has to start from the beginning or all kinds of weird things happen. Sometimes would reset properly, other times would not.

Using a cheap made in China point contact relay is nothing short of being absolutely stupid. No problems for the OEM's as long as this doesn't happen during the warranty period. This happened 4 K miles later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts