Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Dreaded countdown. CEL and multiple engine codes.

5124 28
Today is a day I shouldn't have woke up. I woke up to a backed up septic line. A company should be here for that tomorrow.

Later on today I got in my 2014 Cruze diesel with just under 79k on it to go to work tonight. I haven't driven the car alot but my girlfriend has me turned it's been doing the countdown to reduced power I've dealt with before. Last time it was for the ad def heater recall. When that occured I bought a cheap scanner off Amazon to find out what the codes were and it would also allow me to clear them-up until a point.

Well today it's the same deal. Clearing doesn't work. The car also died on me after startup but I figure that might have something to do with trying to clear codes with the engine running since it started fine after and I made it to work. The codes are the following-
P242D Exhaust gas temp sensor circuit high Bank 1.
P2428
P2047
P20BD

There were also some messages mentioning Sensor 3. After watching the video I posted below can someone tell me which of those sensors is number 3?

I'm hoping this is just some form of failed sensor that is easy and relatively easy to get to to replace but I've popped it in on the search and haven't found that exact code to narrow it down. Can someone help me out here? The car is Trifecta tuned if that amounts to anything.

It's infuriating that every issue with these cars has been with the exhaust system. The guy I bought it from had one recall done that I think was the block heater or some wire running to the engine related to emissions. The heating element failure happened to me about a year ago. And now here we are with more likely emissions related issues.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,369 Posts
So I'm back from my trip. But while I was out there my gf texts me that the drivers side window just fell down into the door shell. So now I need a regulator as well. Great.

After going to a local dealers parts department where the guy at the counter was an absolute asshat, he prints out a few exploded views of the car and finally beings out the connector I might need. They want 91$ for it. But it gives me a parts number to go by and I order what I think I need and I received it today.

I get under the car and I notice that the fluid line itself- or whatever the line that is wrapped in foiled heat sheathing that I assumed would just be a rubber fluid line also has wires in it. And one of them appears severed. And it's right where it goes into the plastic body- so no chance of splicing unless I want to break the plastic casing and see where it broke at within. So now I definitely need the 200$ harness. But it doesn't look separable meaning now not only do I have to buy the harness for the part I need, I'll have to run it wherever and connect everything on the entire harness.

It will be a freezing cold day in Hell before I ever buy a GM product again.
Please do let us know what you end up buying next.

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
So I'm back from my trip. But while I was out there my gf texts me that the drivers side window just fell down into the door shell. So now I need a regulator as well. Great.

After going to a local dealers parts department where the guy at the counter was an absolute asshat, he prints out a few exploded views of the car and finally beings out the connector I might need. They want 91$ for it. But it gives me a parts number to go by and I order what I think I need and I received it today.

I get under the car and I notice that the fluid line itself- or whatever the line that is wrapped in foiled heat sheathing that I assumed would just be a rubber fluid line also has wires in it. And one of them appears severed. And it's right where it goes into the plastic body- so no chance of splicing unless I want to break the plastic casing and see where it broke at within. So now I definitely need the 200$ harness. But it doesn't look separable meaning now not only do I have to buy the harness for the part I need, I'll have to run it wherever and connect everything on the entire harness.

It will be a freezing cold day in Hell before I ever buy a GM product again.
They are sleeves so you have to pull them out the entire length.

Which can be impossible with the connectors in.

Orrrrr just slice it lengthways like a trout.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They are sleeves so you have to pull them out the entire length.

Which can be impossible with the connectors in.

Orrrrr just slice it lengthways like a trout.
. So you're saying the tubing and sleeve extends into that black plastic casing as well? Do you think it's even possible to reconnect the wires within without destroying it?

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
View attachment 293850 . So you're saying the tubing and sleeve extends into that black plastic casing as well? Do you think it's even possible to reconnect the wires within without destroying it?
Of course it’s Voss…they are the worse…

For sure possible but it’s something to do on a bench. In a nice ac cooled room. Dust and grime free. Absolutely do not try it when it’s just dangling under the car.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Of course it’s Voss…they are the worse…

For sure possible but it’s something to do on a bench. In a nice ac cooled room. Dust and grime free. Absolutely do not try it when it’s just dangling under the car.
I wanted to remove it but I couldn't figure where I needed to be pulling from to avoid destroying it. There is one place where there is this small zip tie like piece and I can't tell if that's where it comes out or not.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I figured I might as well follow up on this. I got this issue resolved about 6 months ago. I bought the $200+ ad def line but I eventually said the hell with trying anything myself and decided that I would let a mechanic handle it. And even that was a journey of its own. All the gas mechanics I talked to- even when I prefaced my issue with 'its not an engine issue, its just fixing a line'- I still got 'we don't work on diesels'. So that lead me to try the diesel shops. Two of those I went to were not only terribly backlogged with big ass trucks but also stated they don't work on cars. So there I was. I needed someone who was part time unicorn veterinarian but also part time leprechaun biologist to work on the UFO I daily drive. The third diesel place I called wasn't even a mechanic. They were a parts supplier. And it was this guy who referred me to the unknowable. He once had heard of a man from the depths of the Congo in central Africa who used to be a mechanic for GM for twenty years but now worked by himself. And also amazingly had a PHd in BOTH unicorns AND leprechauns. This guy now lived about 40 miles away. So I met up with the guy and found out I also needed the ad def injector as well. I wasn't happy about this but at this point I was just thankful of finding someone with the archaic knowledge of being able to work on a diesel powered engine that someone had the audacity to put into a car of all things. 600$ later (mostly parts) and the car has ran fine since.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.