Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been diagnosed with the dreaded cracked piston. '17 Premier Hatch with 20k on it. Are the other 3 pistons a ticking time bomb? Should I trade it off asap after the first piston gets fixed?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would hope they would change them all?
Have you been running premium gas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chevrolet will only change under warranty what is busted. Had that conversation today. No budging. I've ran premium for the last 6 months. 89 the first year. Regardless, very disappointed in the product.

I would hope they would change them all?
Have you been running premium gas?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Chevrolet will only change under warranty what is busted. Had that conversation today. No budging. I've ran premium for the last 6 months. 89 the first year. Regardless, very disappointed in the product.
I keep seeing people say this. It's the most untrue and lazy piece of information that dealers are passing on to people and it's asinine and completely wrong, and I can't believe any professional GM tech would replace ONE piston.

GM Service Information Document #5080870 covers 2016-2018 Cruze and Encore with the LE2 1.4L engine. It's been out and in force since May of 2018.

It's for vehicles with a P0300 misfire DTCs, or running rough that's found to be due to piston damage. If any cylinder is found with low compression or excessive pressure leakage due to piston damage ALL FOUR piston sets get replaced. (unless the cylinder walls have been damaged then it gets a new engine)

Additionally it gets the newest ECM calibration to reduce the possibility of a repeat issue.

I see people argue with dealers and techs, and call GM all the time for bullshit nuisance complaints and things related to optional equipment and convenience features, but no one seems to be calling out dealers on this ridiculousness.

Techs and dealerships are NOT instructed by GM to replace a single piston for this issue.

Installing a new premade piston kit(as opposed to ordering individual pistons and rods) has been the procedure for this issue since about June of 2017.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do I do?

I keep seeing people say this. It's the most untrue and lazy piece of information that dealers are passing on to people and it's asinine and completely wrong, and I can't believe any professional GM tech would replace ONE piston.

GM Service Information Document #5080870 covers 2016-2018 Cruze and Encore with the LE2 1.4L engine. It's been out and in force since May of 2018.

It's for vehicles with a P0300 misfire DTCs, or running rough that's found to be due to piston damage. If any cylinder is found with low compression or excessive pressure leakage due to piston damage ALL FOUR piston sets get replaced. (unless the cylinder walls have been damaged then it gets a new engine)

Additionally it gets the newest ECM calibration to reduce the possibility of a repeat issue.

I see people argue with dealers and techs, and call GM all the time for bullshit nuisance complaints and things related to optional equipment and convenience features, but no one seems to be calling out dealers on this ridiculousness.

Techs and dealerships are NOT instructed by GM to replace a single piston for this issue.

Installing a new premade piston kit(as opposed to ordering individual pistons and rods) has been the procedure for this issue since about June of 2017.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I believe this is the starting point...(as Maven notes)

Additionally it gets the newest ECM calibration to reduce the possibility of a repeat issue

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Are you talking to just the dealer, or to GM's customer service? We used to have a customer service person in the forum, but I haven't seen anyone for some time now. Someone else might have an idea on how to do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spoke with customer service. There's no bulletin by that number they claim on this issue. Can you provide me further please asap?

I believe this is the starting point...(as Maven notes)

Additionally it gets the newest ECM calibration to reduce the possibility of a repeat issue

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Sorry, I deal with document IDs all the time. The dealer could look up the document in Service Information.

The item jbkackburn posted is actually the original version of the info for this problem, and not the newest, it been updated beyond that "Preliminary Information" document to a normal "Technical Service Bulletin" or TSB that most people know of.

TSB 18-NA-171 is what you want to tell anyone who didn't like that document # I gave previously.

Screenshot_2019-02-26-08-36-12_1551218121957.png Screenshot_2019-02-26-08-36-26_1551218136451.png Screenshot_2019-02-26-08-36-52_1551218153149.png

·
Registered
239 Posts
my 17 lt had it happen with around 25k or so they will normally replace all the pistons and do a motor rebuild and takes about a week or two

i asked for a new engine they said no...oh well

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
my 17 lt had it happen with around 25k or so they will normally replace all the pistons and do a motor rebuild and takes about a week or two

i asked for a new engine they said no...oh well
If it takes two weeks, hopefully that's due to scheduling or part availability issues, and not the tech taking a week or two. It's a 2 day job to replace pistons.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yea no idea but its all fixed and good now

Reactions: Booger

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it takes two weeks, hopefully that's due to scheduling or part availability issues, and not the tech taking a week or two. It's a 2 day job to replace pistons.
MY wife's 2017 hatch just had 4 pistons replaced at 23,500 miles after a P0300 code misfire etc. I was happy to see that the tech also replaced the lower oil pan [I suppose in case any metal from the damaged piston had found its way in there] and the balancer bolt - this bolt designed to be single-use. Job took one week and 20 different part #'s had to be sourced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just been diagnosed with the dreaded cracked piston. '17 Premier Hatch with 20k on it. Are the other 3 pistons a ticking time bomb? Should I trade it off asap after the first piston gets fixed?
Hey i had the same situation in my 17 cruze . It had like 60k on it. One of the piston cracked and excessive smoke came out. I went to the dealer and they replaced the whole engine plus gave me a rental for a week. It was all covered in my warranty that includes rental cost too. It works amazing now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My sons 2017 Cruze with 21k on it, is n the shop for 4 piston replacement. The cylinders are in great shape, so scoring. The mechanic said that it was the best one he has seen so far. I forgot to ask him just him any has he done. I have a 2017cruze diesel with, knock on wood, np problems.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts