Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,899 Posts
From what I've seen the new engine SHOULD have the updated pistons in it to prevent this in the future.
But it's best to use a good synthetic oil with low speed preignition protection, and to avoid using 87 octane in it to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
But it's best to use a good synthetic oil with low speed preignition protection, and to avoid using 87 octane in it to prevent it from happening again.
I've moved to SN+ Castrol Edge for the lower calcium content on both of our Gen2s for this exact reason. Our 2016.5 is heading over 60k with the original pistons. We also run 93 octane and do not lug the engine in either.

·
Registered
835 Posts
it's due to the oil not running 87

·
Registered
179 Posts
it's due to the oil not running 87
These engines make some serious KR on 87. 2 - 5º of KR isn't uncommon just doing a highway merge in the summer. Tuned with 93 octane I get a few blips under 1º of KR which I assume is false knock. Same deal on the car that isn't tuned as well, so its not just the tune desensitizing the knock sensors.

I truly believe GM is leaning way too hard on the knock sensors in these cars to allow it to run 87 octane. The oil might not help things either, but the combination seems to rip early LE2s pistons apart. Not to mention the trash stock logic on the 6T35 lugging everywhere, the car is an LSPI nightmare.

API SP replacing SN+ should help for the oil part across the board.

Right now 91/93 octane and a low calcium content SN+ oil seem to be the best defense against standard pre-ignition and LSPI events.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just called the dealer and set up an appointment to get me software up to date. In at 49930 miles and am out of warranty, so $125.00.
I know dealership service departments have to make money and if they can't bill it as a warranty it costs them money, but ****. If I were the service manager at a dealership I'd try to work with you to get a software update done for you gratis, because it seems like Chevy has that as something that should be a warranty/recall item no matter the age or mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just been diagnosed with the dreaded cracked piston. '17 Premier Hatch with 20k on it. Are the other 3 pistons a ticking time bomb? Should I trade it off asap after the first piston gets fixed?
Since the parts have been redesigned, the dealer will replace all 4 pistons etc. My wife's car had this issue and the repair including replacing 20 different part #'s including 4 pistons, 4 rings and 4 rods... Service performed in August of 2019 at 23,568 miles and car has performed flawlessly since then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see so many of these posts, not just here but seemingly everywhere. I'm starting to wonder if it's not an IF issue but a WHEN with the 16/17's. At first, I thought it was mainly seen in the first 15k miles past that you're in the clear. Now I'm seeing 50 and 60k miles the pistons are going. The 2nd gens have a what 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty? **** and here I started to let my hair down about this issue sitting at 31k miles with my '17 LT as of writing this. Now it's back on my mind again lol. I take a lot of road trips as well. Though I've been running Shell 93 octane and Amsoil Signature Series oil in it since I rolled her off the lot. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Most of the piston stories have been dealer oil changes.

There's been one posting of using a lube shop.

On this forum. I don't know about other forums or cars using the same motor.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I see so many of these posts, not just here but seemingly everywhere. I'm starting to wonder if it's not an IF issue but a WHEN with the 16/17's. At first, I thought it was mainly seen in the first 15k miles past that you're in the clear. Now I'm seeing 50 and 60k miles the pistons are going. The 2nd gens have a what 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty? **** and here I started to let my hair down about this issue sitting at 31k miles with my '17 LT as of writing this. Now it's back on my mind again lol. I take a lot of road trips as well. Though I've been running Shell 93 octane and Amsoil Signature Series oil in it since I rolled her off the lot. Fingers crossed.
Yea I'm at 12k with my '17 and I'm worried about it. If it goes I hope it goes while it's still in the 5 year part because I know I won't be over the 60k part. It had 6k on it when I got it and I just had an oil change done at ~10k when it was at ~25% and made sure the shop (local independant place I've been using for 20 years now) put in the proper oil. I also recently switched to running 93 (so much for buying this car to save on fuel costs) so I'm hoping I don't ever have the problem. I also try not to lug it much as that seems to be a contributing factor. I'll pop the pedal to get it to downshift instead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most of the piston stories have been dealer oil changes.

There's been one posting of using a lube shop.

On this forum. I don't know about other forums or cars using the same motor.
I saw a guy on here about a year or so back who had piston 1 blow on his '17 and he like me ran 93 exclusively and a top tier synthetic. Lost the cyl at 8k if memory serves. Saw another post around the same time a woman lost her #1 piston at only 3k miles she though was on 87 and DEXROS dealer oil.

I tried to find that post as I commented on it, but none of my old posts/comments are showing up. Not sure if things were deleted when the site was updated?

Yea I'm at 12k with my '17 and I'm worried about it. If it goes I hope it goes while it's still in the 5 year part because I know I won't be over the 60k part. It had 6k on it when I got it and I just had an oil change done at ~10k when it was at ~25% and made sure the shop (local independant place I've been using for 20 years now) put in the proper oil. I also recently switched to running 93 (so much for buying this car to save on fuel costs) so I'm hoping I don't ever have the problem. I also try not to lug it much as that seems to be a contributing factor. I'll pop the pedal to get it to downshift instead.
Yea I honestly plan to get rid of my Cruze soon as I'm done paying it off (8 payments left!) I mean its an OK car. No real issues other than my wonky transmission. But with the piston issues and the fact car is now discontinued so it's going to be progressively harder to find parts as well as more and more expensive to repair, time to move on. Its also not that fun to drive. Great MPG though (I average 34 in city and 43 on the highway, hand calculated).

There are other benefits to running 93 top tier gas other than just the octane increase. On top of that Cruzes have such a small tank, you're only paying a few bucks more per fill-up. Granted that adds up over time, but still. Pick a chain and stick with them. Most of the big guys have a rewards program so you can get 93 quite cheaper. I know with Shell I get 10 cents off the gallon with my Shell card.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I wouldn't worry about parts. They have to be carried for 10 years. That's 2029.

Olds is still available and they haven't been around for 20 years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
im at almost 70k miles now dealer fixed my issue at around 19-20k and all good since then!

Reactions: Fireworks234

·
Registered
243 Posts
lol hell no its a cruze not a racecar i use 87 95% of the time i fill up with 91 once a month or so and also use lucas fuel treatment about every month or two

now my camaro only gets 91 and its tuned for it so yea...

Reactions: 406

·
Registered
832 Posts
lol hell no its a cruze not a racecar i use 87 95% of the time i fill up with 91 once a month or so and also use lucas fuel treatment about every month or two

now my camaro only gets 91 and its tuned for it so yea...
Any/all turbocharged Cruze are tuned for premium unleaded.

·
Registered
243 Posts
lol no they are not they are an economy car made to use with 87 octane a turbocharged camaro or cobalt ss yes as its a performance car but not a sonic or cruze

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,899 Posts
lol no they are not they are an economy car made to use with 87 octane a turbocharged camaro or cobalt ss yes as its a performance car but not a sonic or cruze
No.

Is it made to run on 87 through computer tuning? Yes.

Does it benefit from running higher octane? Yes, it's a turbo car with a high compression ratio.

Does it run well on 87? No.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts