Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
i bought mine for gas mileage not performance i have a camaro ss for that and its tuned for 91. Dealer says 87 is fine thats what i run, but ill run 91 or so once a month but not gonna put 91 in it every week sorry not sorry

·
Registered
835 Posts
i bought mine for gas mileage not performance i have a camaro ss for that and its tuned for 91. Dealer says 87 is fine thats what i run, but ill run 91 or so once a month but not gonna put 91 in it every week sorry not sorry
Until you end up with a cracked piston and junk motor. Have fun with that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
lol already had it happen buddy... obviously you dont pay attention but dealer literally said it wasnt because of that you keep wasting your money putting in 91 octane in your cruze ill save it for my camaro

·
Registered
2018 Cruze Hatchback RS Premier
114 Posts
Reactions: WillL84

·
Registered
243 Posts
woa woa we talking about 87 vs 91 lol where do you even buy 85? lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
ive ran 87 and 91 before not tuned and not really seen a big difference in mpg power maybe? but nothing huge...its a cruze again not a racecar

·
Registered
832 Posts
lol no they are not they are an economy car made to use with 87 octane a turbocharged camaro or cobalt ss yes as its a performance car but not a sonic or cruze
It is widely acknowledged that the engine in the Cruze is gimped to use 87 octane only to push a widely-selling product into the US market. People buying an entry-level Chevrolet would not tolerate a car that requires mid-grade or premium fuel, so GM make it capable of using 87 octane with reduced performance.

Best results, depending on your location/climate, are to use at least mid-grade during colder/winter months, and to use premium fuel during any hot weather months.

·
Registered
832 Posts
woa woa we talking about 87 vs 91 lol where do you even buy 85? lol
85 octane fuel is available in a few locations in the high plains states (the middle of the USA). It's so limited availability it's not worth mentioning.

They were referring to E85, a blend of 85% ethanol with regular unleaded that results in about 100-105 octane.

·
Registered
832 Posts
ive ran 87 and 91 before not tuned and not really seen a big difference in mpg power maybe? but nothing huge...its a cruze again not a racecar
You have to run at least 3 tanks of premium fuel through the car so the ECU can recalibrate to having 91-93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lower octane in mountain areas because the thinner air means less pressure in the cylinder and less octane is necessary to prevent detonation.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Almost any regular gasoline car without a turbocharger can probably run fine with 85 octane.
Not these days. Cars now have higher compression ratios which require higher octane fuels.

·
Registered
2018 Cruz LT
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Cruz LT I purchased last Oct. with about 50K miles on it. Yesterday, while traveling on the Freeway the car started shaking and CEL lights came on. Had it towed home, checked engine codes and it came up w/ P0301, and P0011 and occasionally P0500. IT idles rough, the oil was somewhat low so I topped it off, drive around the block but the P0301 code keeps coming back. i changed the coil pack between the #1 and the #2 cylinders, no change. I checked the spark plug on #4 looked fine, I changed them about 12K miles ago. Checked the #1 plug and it is fouled seems like with the carbon there is oil. I put new plugin, made little difference still no power, rough idle and P0301 code returns. The car has 85K on it so I assume it is out of warranty. I took off the oil filler cap and there is smoke coming out, oil splatter noise and air.
What are my options and what are the costs?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,899 Posts
I have a 2018 Cruz LT I purchased last Oct. with about 50K miles on it. Yesterday, while traveling on the Freeway the car started shaking and CEL lights came on. Had it towed home, checked engine codes and it came up w/ P0301, and P0011 and occasionally P0500. IT idles rough, the oil was somewhat low so I topped it off, drive around the block but the P0301 code keeps coming back. i changed the coil pack between the #1 and the #2 cylinders, no change. I checked the spark plug on #4 looked fine, I changed them about 12K miles ago. Checked the #1 plug and it is fouled seems like with the carbon there is oil. I put new plugin, made little difference still no power, rough idle and P0301 code returns. The car has 85K on it so I assume it is out of warranty. I took off the oil filler cap and there is smoke coming out, oil splatter noise and air.
What are my options and what are the costs?
Run a compression test, but pretty much a guarantee it's cracked.

Options are:
1) Trade it in
2) Gather up service receipts, etc, and talk to a dealership. Sometimes GM will "Goodwill" full or partial cost of repairs to keep a happy customer, esp if you bought it new from said dealer.
3) Find a used engine and swap the whole thing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sometimes GM will "Goodwill" full or partial cost of repairs to keep a happy customer, esp if you bought it new from said dealer.
They're a second owner. GM will tell them to get bent. Once again, this is something that should have at least been a recall for new ECU software (to reduce the LSPI that causes cracked pistons), but GM was cheap and doesn't care about customers. Especially second-hand customers.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
They're a second owner. GM will tell them to get bent. Once again, this is something that should have at least been a recall for new ECU software (to reduce the LSPI that causes cracked pistons), but GM was cheap and doesn't care about customers. Especially second-hand customers.
I bet ya they won't and will, at the very least, partially cover it.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
Probably not without a fight.
Of course not, everything depends on how much effort one wants to put in. If you go easy, they will just say F off. ;)

61 - 80 of 89 Posts