Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
The dreaded P0171 has reared its ugly head again ...
Reading through previous posts on this forum I have already checked/done the below

- Cleaned the MAF sensor a couple of times. The CEL goes away before coming on again after about 300 Kms.
- Checked the diaphragm in the valve cover (was replaced about 30,000 Kms ago). No hissing sound or air being sucked in.
- Intake manifold PCV check valve nipple is intact.

Should there be oil/gunk where the PCV check valve nipple in the intake manifold is located and also in the corrugated hose connecting the intake manifold to the turbo as the both appear to be very oily/greasy.

Is there a procedure somewhere on this forum on how to remove and check this hose?

Is this where seafoam is poured to clean the upper intake?

Finally both camshaft position actuator solenoid valve seals are "sweating". Could this be triggering the code?

Parts replaced over the past two years - O2 sensors, turbo, valve cover, water pump, oil pickup, battery, coolant reservoir.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone please ?

Is oil residue in the corrugated hose and the inlet in the manifold where it connects to an indication of an issue or is it normal?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Anyone please ?

Is oil residue in the corrugated hose and the inlet in the manifold where it connects to an indication of an issue or is it normal?

Cheers
Accumulated oil is not uncommon within the intake system.......it is accumulated and recondensed blow by gasses.

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accumulated oil is not uncommon within the intake system.......it is accumulated and recondensed blow by gasses.

Rob
Cheers Rob. Will Seafoam treatment where the corrugated hose connects to the intake help cleanup the intake ? Also could the sweating camshaft solenoid valve seals trigger the P0171?

Finally any instructions regarding disconnecting the corrugated hose at the turbo end? Sorry for all the questions I have just started learning about cars thanks to my Cruze :)

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I don't recommend cleaning the intake system......sensors downstream could be damaged. The residue harms nothing.
The seals you reference would not set a code.

This code can be set by things as simple as a poorly sealing oil fill cap (but usually there will be leakage as well) or a damaged 'O' ring at the top of the dipstick handle.

Much beyond that.......you are there, I am here.....I hesitate to speculate for fear of sending you in wrong directions.

Keep an eye on this thread though......there may be another member that was chasing this down in the past.

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recommend cleaning the intake system......sensors downstream could be damaged. The residue harms nothing.
The seals you reference would not set a code.

This code can be set by things as simple as a poorly sealing oil fill cap (but usually there will be leakage as well) or a damaged 'O' ring at the top of the dipstick handle.

Much beyond that.......you are there, I am here.....I hesitate to speculate for fear of sending you in wrong directions.

Keep an eye on this thread though......there may be another member that was chasing this down in the past.

Rob
Thank you for your advice Rob. The CEL went away by itself and I have driven 250 kms since. Lets see what happens in the next few days/weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Talked to a Chevy tech yesterday after purchasing my 2nd valve cover,because of the P0171, and they are replacing the intake manifolds with the valve covers. Don't know if it a new design intake or not.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Talked to a Chevy tech yesterday after purchasing my 2nd valve cover,because of the P0171, and they are replacing the intake manifolds with the valve covers. Don't know if it a new design intake or not.
Most likely you are receiving the newest (updated) manifold......redesigned to prevent check valve blowout. (That means all the old versions are gone)

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi rob, do you know if there has been an update to the intake manifold, the tech's at Chevy didn't seem to think that anything was redesigned, they have just been replacing them along with the valve cover to keep their comebacks down.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Hi rob, do you know if there has been an update to the intake manifold, the tech's at Chevy didn't seem to think that anything was redesigned, they have just been replacing them along with the valve cover to keep their comebacks down.
All of the manifolds from GM have been the updated versions since sometime late 2015.
The manifolds in the supply chain now (GM) no longer are supplied with the throttle body and injectors and, of course, they are all the newest version as well.

My dealer has reported no failures of the newest version manifolds or 2016 and newer 1.4's used in the Trax and Gen I from 2015 (same engine as yours).

The original version just had the manifold plastic heat melted over the check valve retainer......it appears (looked at one with a bore camera) the newest version has a molded slot to retain the valve seat.

Anyways, I'd be fairly confident you'll be getting the new version......I think after this length of time the originals have been long gone.

Rob

·
Registered
241 Posts
the other way to find an intake leak is to use a propane torch. You don't light the propane but you let it flow out of the torch and run around potential sources of leaks with the engine running at idle. When you hit the place with the leak the rpms will spike upwards.

This won't give you a precise location but it will get you close. You can do the same with brake cleaner but that is more risky from a spark/fire/flashback perspective

·
Registered
241 Posts
How about the corrugated PVC hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the inlet of the turbo. If that hose was cracked or the check valve in the end of the hose (at the turbo end) was not closing that would cause an inlet leak that would trigger the code.

you should be able to blow into the hose (towards the turbo) but not be able to suck backwards towards the inlet manifold.

If you can suck air backwards there is your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts