Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really hating this car right now..

After finally replacing the water pump and preparing to put a new drive belt on, the tensioner bolt head sheared off when I was trying to loosen it to remove the key I put in the hole (to keep the tensioner from returning back to its normal position as I was replacing the belt). Is this something I can drill and extract with an ez-out?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm really hating this car right now..

After finally replacing the water pump and preparing to put a new drive belt on, the tensioner bolt head sheared off when I was trying to loosen it to remove the key I put in the hole (to keep the tensioner from returning back to its normal position as I was replacing the belt). Is this something I can drill and extract with an ez-out?
If I understand correctly, the bolt on the idler wheel broke? For that, my first thought is to replace the entire tensioner unit. Or was it a bolt mounting the tensioner to the engine?

Any chance you can post a pic?

If you try to repair it, if it's just the bolt holding the idler wheel on the tensioner, it might be easier to remove the tensioner from the car and get it on a drill press.

Doug

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I ordered a new tensioner. I just hope I can actually remove the current one. The mounting bolt hasn't budged yet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I found its good to not just pull on the tensioner when letting tension off, but to kind of pivot it instead. I can definitely see how the bolt could shear (I thought I’d shear mine)

I think you could use an easy out, it’s in aluminum and should release somewhat easy I’d think.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to crack the lower mounting bolt loose, so just have to wait until the new tensioner arrives and hopefully this friggin' job will be done with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts