Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my Cruze is in the shop to get an issue fixed. I tried opening the drivers door the other night and it opened about a quarter of an inch, then stopped. I had to re-pull the handle to get it to open. Also, the lock for the drivers door no longer works, and the lock 'stem' doesn't even move anymore. I assume this is covered under the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warraty, even though I bought the car Pre-Owned. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I'll take a guess at this just for grins. I'll wager that one of the door lock linkages came adrift, or the plastic locking clip that holds the linkage together broke.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like a door lock actuator issue. It moving shows it has power but not fully engaging

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Just picked her up and she's all good. They checked my A/C as well and did a complimentary 27 point vehicle inspection. As always Pine Belt Chevrolet in Lakewood did a great job. I am happy.
Cips,
Thank you for the update. I am very happy to hear that your dealer was able to get this issue taken care of for you!! I am also happy to hear that you are satisfied with your dealer's service department!! If you have any other questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked her up again and it seems as though the issue is resolved. My service writer said the 'door lock rod' was bent and it was hanging up on the door panel. In my preliminary tests it has worked. I'll have to keep an eye on it for a few days just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
At least you have a reason. I really hate not knowing why something broke and then started working again; usually means it will brake again.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
There is a bulletin on the doorlocks becoming inop. I couldnt tell you the exact number and description right now, but its listed on my 'investigate history'. Im waiting for mine to go, lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I can post details later for those interested.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
There is a bulletin on the doorlocks becoming inop. I couldnt tell you the exact number and description right now, but its listed on my 'investigate history'. Im waiting for mine to go, lol

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
#PIE0219: Engineering Information - Door Lock (Latch) Inoperative, Does Not Lock or Unlock, Inside or Outside Handle Inoperative - (Jul 10, 2012)

Subject:
Engineering Information – Door Lock (Latch) Inoperative, Does Not Lock or Unlock, Inside or Outside Door Handle Inoperative

Models:
2012 Chevrolet Cruze, Sonic

Attention:
Proceed with this PI ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the PIE number is listed in the Global Warranty Management / Investigate History link (GWM/IVH). If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GWM/IVH, disregard the PI and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL – refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053E for more details on the use of Engineering Information PIs.
Condition

Important: If the customer did not bring their vehicle in for this concern, DO NOT proceed with this EI.
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following door lock (latch) concerns.

Door will not unlock or lock.

Outside handle will not work.

Inside handle will not work.

Door will not open.

Door will not unlock using key fob (issue on one door only).

Door locks (latches) returned under warranty have been tested with no trouble found.
Cause

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the above condition. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles PRIOR to repair that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.
Instructions

Verify that the concern exists using only external checks and contact one of the engineers listed below. DO NOT remove the door trim panel prior to calling.
Contact Information

Engineer Name

Phone Number

Brian

Scott

Please include the following information if leaving a message:
-
Technician name

-
Dealer name and phone number

-
Complete VIN and repair order (R.O.) number
On the repair order, document the date and time the call was placed (even if the engineer was not reached).
If engineering is unable to return the call within one hour, proceed with diagnosis and repair based on information found in SI.
Warranty Information

If engineer was contacted or required information was provided, use:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think this just started manifesting on my Cruze.

yesterday my front passenger door locks wont unlock when pressing the unlock button on the center console, about 75% of the time it works when I press the unlock button the second time.

Will have to dropby my stealership to have it checked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My locks were working fine until I got the windows tinted today. The drivers door wouldn't LOCK with the fob or dash switch, but would UNlock OK. I had to lock the drivers door either manually, or I found it would lock with the bladed key in the door.
Called the dealer and the tint shop. Dealer referred to the tint shop UNLESS the door panel had NOT been pulled, in which case the service manager said he would look in to it.
Door panels were pulled to do the job.
Tint shop was very nice about offering to look at it immediately, but I said I used to be a mechanic and would be willing to investigate.
He told me where the 2 screws are needed to remove the panel.
I pulled the panel, everything seemed to be fine except the rod that the knob screws on to did seem like it was angled "in" towards the interior of the car a little.
I tweaked that rod and got the lock working again.
Cruze's are evidently very finnicky when it comes to that lock rod that extends through the door panel.
All is well now.
Gilly

·
Registered
3 Posts
GILLY! THANK YOU! SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME TODAY!
Where are the 2 screws? I will try finding it out myself now, but just in case you respond quick.
My problem: ALL 4 locks didnt work right after window tinting. They would unlock, and lock themselves quick. Additionally, the lock pegs would go up HALFWAY, not all the way up. So like 1/2" was sticking out.
My rear 2 fixed themselves via magic.
My front passenger works, but goes up halfway. Locks & unlocks, but does so with a clunk. Not quiet like it used to be.
The front driver does not work at all. I can push it down, and it pops up halfway by itself with unlock, but won't lock or go up all the way.
Haven't heard from my tinter yet, left a message a couple hours ago!
THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I figured out how to take the door panels off, very easy.

The 2 t-20 torx screws are located in the door pull/pocket, under a rubber insert, and behind a plastic panel in the inside door handle pocket. There's a notch cut out to get a small flat head screwdriver in to pop it out.

Then, pop off the plastic triangle at the front of the door, just above the panel. Be careful pulling this sucker off; wedge your fingers inside the top 2 sides and give a few light-jarring pulls.

The rest of the door panel is held on by plastic 'christmas trees' as most door panels are. Use a trim tool (looks like a 2-prong fork- and use it at every 6-9" around the door panel. Put some tape on it if you're worried about scratching the paint. Once all of them are popped off, the panel lifts up and over the door lock peg.
My problem appeared to be the peg/rod was tweaked a bit so it didn't go up all the way, and often got jammed.

Bend the rod back a little bit toward the outside of the car, and put the door panel back on. Test the door locks before you pop the clips back into the door.
Keep in mind you will not dent plastic, but can break it. Door panels are fairly tough, so when putting it back on you can hit it with your palm around the edge. The triangle piece is a little tricky to get on, but new plastic is more pliable than old brittle plastic.

Hope this thread will help someone else!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I figured out how to take the door panels off, very easy.

The 2 t-20 torx screws are located in the door pull/pocket, under a rubber insert, and behind a plastic panel in the inside door handle pocket. There's a notch cut out to get a small flat head screwdriver in to pop it out.

Then, pop off the plastic triangle at the front of the door, just above the panel. Be careful pulling this sucker off; wedge your fingers inside the top 2 sides and give a few light-jarring pulls.

The rest of the door panel is held on by plastic 'christmas trees' as most door panels are. Use a trim tool (looks like a 2-prong fork- and use it at every 6-9" around the door panel. Put some tape on it if you're worried about scratching the paint. Once all of them are popped off, the panel lifts up and over the door lock peg.
My problem appeared to be the peg/rod was tweaked a bit so it didn't go up all the way, and often got jammed.

Bend the rod back a little bit toward the outside of the car, and put the door panel back on. Test the door locks before you pop the clips back into the door.
Keep in mind you will not dent plastic, but can break it. Door panels are fairly tough, so when putting it back on you can hit it with your palm around the edge. The triangle piece is a little tricky to get on, but new plastic is more pliable than old brittle plastic.

Hope this thread will help someone else!
Good information here. I'll try tomorrow, I have the same issue with the driver door. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It may be the actuator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts