Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Bought 2016 Cruze Limited a month ago. On the way home from dealer noticed considerable wind noise coming from drivers side window. Took back to dealer, they agreed was excessive and replaced the door seal. It was much better but now a week later it is back the way it was. My first brand new car in 30 years...so this is frustrating, not to mention I drive an hour each way to dealer and work full time, so difficult to find time to bring back. Haven't contacted dealer again yet. Recommendations??? Love the car otherwise....Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Wind noise is also really bad on my 2015 Cruze which I bought brand new back in December. I haven't mentioned it to my dealer yet but its coming from both the driver's and passenger's side window. All my door seals look nice and tight but I don't really know what to look for. I don't have much confidence in my local dealership as of late to do anything right when it comes to my Cruze, so maybe I'll take it to another dealership or learn to live with it?

Did your dealership take your Cruze for a ride and compare the wind noise to another similar Cruze to make them agree that the wind noise was excessive? Just curious about how they go about diagnosing and then fixing this issue.

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
I had this also. Check the rubber strip on the leading edge of the rear door. When this strip comes loose it gets really loud. I ended up having my dealership glue the strip in place.

Congrats and welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I had this also. Check the rubber strip on the leading edge of the rear door. When this strip comes loose it gets really loud. I ended up having my dealership glue the strip in place.

Congrats and welcome to CruzeTalk.
Did the glue thing work? You also told me to try this and I totally forgot. Where exactly are you talking about though? Anyway you can take a picture of it with pointing arrows so it's clear where you're refering to and what we should be looking for?

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
It worked. I'll take and post a picture of the weather strip I had glued in place.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Same with my 2012 2LT when new, and just the driver's door, weather strip had a huge gap in the upper rear corner, other new Cruze's in the dealers lot, did not have that large gap. Took a bit of arm twisting to get him to replace it under warranty. Chevy buys from many different vendors, wonder if you got the same one.

Did look at the new weather strip he ordered before it was install, gap for the closed window was correct and that corrected that wind noise. Nothing was glued when installing it, done on my careful eye.

If you put your blower on vents at the highest speed, can hear that whistle on the outside if the vehicle with both the window and door closed. Three other doors were quiet.

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
IMAG0198.jpg

This a picture of the rubber seal on the leading edge of the rear passenger door. This strip is actually on the door and when it comes loose you get horrific wind noise. To check this strip simply push it back onto the door. If it moves and then your wind noise goes away you've found the source of your noise.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
View attachment 191114

This a picture of the rubber seal on the leading edge of the rear passenger door. This strip is actually on the door and when it comes loose you get horrific wind noise. To check this strip simply push it back onto the door. If it moves and then your wind noise goes away you've found the source of your noise.
Where exactly were your ears telling you the spot of your wind noise was coming from prior to finding out this strip was the problem? I can't say for sure, but it seems both of my wind noise problems seem to be mostly coming from the top of both the driver's and passenger's windows, almost in the center of them. My window's seem to go all the way up when I roll them up but maybe they're not sitting firmly in the grove when I roll them up? I'll give this specific strip/location a look over tomorrow though.

How do most service advisors deal with wind noise complaints when you come in looking for a solution?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had this issue with my 15', drivers front door, they initially 'adjusted' door and gave it back, I took it back because it was still whistling,
then they replaced all door seals on car and on the door. No more whistling, still don't think it's as quite as my gfs Cruze but much better

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Had this issue with my 15', drivers front door, they initially 'adjusted' door and gave it back, I took it back because it was still whistling,
then they replaced all door seals on car and on the door. No more whistling, still don't think it's as quite as my gfs Cruze but much better
Yeah, I get caught up comparing my Cruze's wind noise to my wife's 2012 Honda Civic which is embarrassingly quieter than mine when on the highway. We both got super spoiled by the Nissan Sentra we rented when we went to San Juan Puerto Rico last month. Talk about a quiet ride in terms of both wind noise and road noise!! It was also super smooth, handled the San Juan city streets like a boss, and had so much room both in the interior and trunk! We had to keep asking ourselves was this a compact car and was this really a Sentra. We did order a full size sedan, so maybe the class and dimensions are different in PR when it comes to cars? Anyway, after a few days back of driving her Civic, my wife was ready to trade it in for a Sentra, haha!

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
It's been a few years now, but I remember that I had non-localized wind noise on the driver side. I found the loose door seal by poking at the various seals. I discovered a direct correlation between this one seal and the wind noise.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Chrome Piece

The chrome trim piece on the lower side of the window on the rear doors always pops up and whistles on my 2014....

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
View attachment 191114

Based on where you told me to look and based on what your rubber seal on the leading edge of the rear passenger door looks like, I might have found where my wind noise issue is coming from? On both sides, the rubber sealing on the leading edge of the rear passenger doors is not tight against the door or in place like yours appears to be in your picture above. The rubber seals on both sides have horrible gapping/spacing issues especially towards the middle and top parts. The gapping/spacing isn't as pronounced on my driver's side like it is with my passenger's side, but its still noticeable.

My pinky can fit in the largest part of the spacing that's present in the rubber seal on the drivers side, while I can fit all four fingers in the largest spacing that's present on the passenger's side. Perhaps my doors need to be adjusted? I can tell my driver's side door(s) could use it because the chrome window trim doesn't line up evenly from the start to the end but the passenger side doors seem to line up perfectly. Below are some pictures to help explain the gapping I'm seeing from the the rubber seal on the leading edge of the rear doors.

IMG_1876.jpg IMG_1877.jpg IMG_1878.jpg IMG_1879.jpg IMG_1880.jpg IMG_1881.jpg IMG_1882.jpg IMG_1883.jpg IMG_1884.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1886.jpg

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
Based on where you told me to look and based on what your rubber seal on the leading edge of the rear passenger door looks like, I might have found where my wind noise issue is coming from? On both sides, the rubber sealing on the leading edge of the rear passenger doors is not tight against the door or in place like yours appears to be in your picture above. The rubber seals on both sides have horrible gapping/spacing issues especially towards the middle and top parts. The gapping/spacing isn't as pronounced on my driver's side like it is with my passenger's side, but its still noticeable.

My pinky can fit in the largest part of the spacing that's present in the rubber seal on the drivers side, while I can fit all four fingers in the largest spacing that's present on the passenger's side. Perhaps my doors need to be adjusted? I can tell my driver's side door(s) could use it because the chrome window trim doesn't line up evenly from the start to the end but the passenger side doors seem to line up perfectly. Below are some pictures to help explain the gapping I'm seeing from the the rubber seal on the leading edge of the rear doors.

View attachment 192114 View attachment 192122 View attachment 192130 View attachment 192138 View attachment 192146 View attachment 192154 View attachment 192162 View attachment 192170 View attachment 192178 View attachment 192186 View attachment 192194
You found it. Any gaps on any of those seals and you'll get horrendous wind noise.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
You found it. Any gaps on any of those seals and you'll get horrendous wind noise.
Thanks! Sorry about the pictures being turned the wrong way. They were showing straight before I posted them. Do you know how I can get them to post correctly so that you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at? Also, how would you recommend I approach my dealership about fixing this?

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
Starks, when you take your car in just demonstrate the loose seals. As for picture orientation the only way I know to fix this is to fix it on your computer first and then upload. CT doesn't honor the orientation flag in the image.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts