Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

DRL not working properly

4345 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  grs1961
Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of searching and couldn't find anything that covered this so I thought I'd post it here.

I have a Cruze SRI-V 2011 with Day Running Lamps (DRL) and all of a sudden, BOTH lamps are only running on the minor brightness lamps (accessory lamps I believe).

I can use my high beams and my fog lights but the standard lamps no longer work.

I've tried altering the power switch thinking it could be stuck to no avail.

I'm not sure what to try next. I looked at the fuse box but couldn't see anything referring to the lamps specifically so I'm not sure if it's a fuse or not.

Any help would be MOST appreciated :)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
Start by replacing one bulb.....I'm betting the low beam filiments have failed.
It is not uncommon for both bulbs to fail almost together.
The surge from the side that failed heads for the other side and takes that bulb out as well.

Rob

· Little Purple Title
831 Posts
There's two arguments as to how the Cruzen DRLs work - one is that they operate at 9 volts, the second is that the power kind of "strobes" resulting in a dimmer light. Either way, it can make some bulbs (especially HIDs and LEDs) do weird things. check out a wiring harness for sure to ensure they get a good 12 volts all the time.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's two arguments as to how the Cruzen DRLs work - one is that they operate at 9 volts, the second is that the power kind of "strobes" resulting in a dimmer light. Either way, it can make some bulbs (especially HIDs and LEDs) do weird things. check out a wiring harness for sure to ensure they get a good 12 volts all the time.
Awesome! I'll get the multimeter on the lines.

What do you recommend if the voltage fluctuates? What's an acceptable variance?

Thanks heaps for your reply!

· Little Purple Title
831 Posts
Get a wiring harness. They wire into your battery and use a relay to detect the headlight signal voltage for on or off. I have HIDs and my harness supports low beam only (if I hit my high beams my lights just shut off complete).

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
All the suggestions are good, but the simplest and most common problem with head lights not working is a burned out bulb. My experience is that once one bulb burns out the other one tends to go relatively soon thereafter. I agree with Robby to try replacing one of your light bulbs first.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
It's an SRI-v, so the OP is most likely in Oz or NZ - try http://www.powerbulbs.com.au for good bulbs - as in Philips X-treme Visions - but just hit the nearest Supercheap or Aotobarn or whatever to get a replacement now so you can check it.

I don't know of a replacement harness for the Oz-built Cruze, but I do know we use different bulbs to the US-build (and therefore probably a different harness, as well).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.