Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll start by saying I know there are several posts on this but each one gets so off topic I want to start a new
Thread.

What this is about is somehow relocating the DRL's to the sidemarkers. It's been done and there is someone selling
a special plug and play harness to do this. BUT being $165 plus shipping just for a couple relays and some wire, I just cant justify
that much.

Another thing is I'm in canada and cant just turn the headlight dial to the left and turn them off like in the good ol'usa. Just get that out of the way now. I dont want to completely remove the DRL's for mainly insurance reasons

This is the harness I'm talking about, as you can see in the installation pics its very minimal parts, maybe $30 is supplies.
2011-2014 Cruze DRL Relocate Harness-Parking Lights

Any electrical guru's out there want to help me figure this out? Looks like 2 standard Normally Closed 30/40a 5 pin relays, and some inline connections between the headlights and markers. DRL's run on the low beam with 12.5 volts at DRL and 14.4 withthe headlights on. Very small difference. Not half the voltage everyone says in other posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
The way the drls run in our cars has long been discussed on here. Some say its a 12v pulsed and others say its a 9v signal. Have not determined myself with a multimeter but keep meaning to. However the 12.6v your refurring to is what the battery voltage is (or should be for a good battery) with the car off and 14.5v is about what you should see with the car running and charging the battery.

As for the relay system your looking at its actually something i was thinking about making myself now too long ago now but to make the fog lights the drl instead. The only thing i dont see on his relay is a diode to keep the flow of electricity from going back to the bcm while switching over. This is where I stopped as i didnt have time but now your have gotten my intrest again lol. It looks as if they are using a single pole double throw relay. Pretty much goes in between the two and when the drls are turned on it sends the power from the low beam through the single pole and into the normaly closed pole out to the park lights. When the park lights are turned on it taps into them for a signal to switch the relay over and send the power out the headlights.

As for the other wiring it would need to be able to still keep the factory park lights and turn signals working so it would have to have looped wires for that.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd use a DPDT, one for each side. But I guess they're using a pair of SPDT relays to do the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts