Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our local dealer got one in and I had to take it for a spin. Overall impressions, mixed. It was a 6 sp manual, 1.4 turbo which is the same configuration as my Cruze. Some things I liked, some things I didn't. The Cruze seems a little more refined, especially over bumps and is overall a little quieter to me. The Cruze motor feels a little more torquey but the Dart pulls harder in the upper RPM's. Wide open throttle gave a slight surge at different rpms, I attributed that to the multi air system working but I could be wrong. The dash to me was just OK, nothing special. This one did not have the upgraded TFT cluster and was kind of plain. The radio/climate control screen was larger than the Cruze's but harder to see when sun light was around it. The doors were double gasketed but didn't have the nice "thunk" that the Cruze doors do when closing. The interior was more spacious than the Cruze. It felt wider and appeared that the rear passengers may have more legroom. I did not sit in the back seat. I really like the looks of the front of the vehicle but not really in love with the back (others may differ as it's a matter of taste). This particular vehicle had a really annoying squeek when the clutch pedal traveled the last couple inches up but I doubt it was anything major and easily fixable. Overall, I think I liked the vehicle but I didn't leave with the the impression I really wanted one or that it was something I'd consider trading my Cruze for.

EDIT (as I think of things) it was easier to shift this gearbox faster than the Cruze but didn't feel as smooth as the Cruze's if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Saw the Motorweek Review this week - straight line performance is very comparable to the stock ECO 6M. Dart 1.4 T 6M was 8.2 secs to sixty and if I recall trapped 87 mph in the quarter mile. I am tuned so should have no problem out running one. I do like Alfa's(Dart is based on one) and have a 1988 Milano Verde 5M in my garage - but it is a rear drive transaxle V-6. I am interested in the Dart and may check it out. Dealer is about 2 miles down the road from me. Not planning on trading in my ECO anytime soon though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to the Dodge Dart web site to build my own Dart. I found that the 1.4 turbo only comes with manual shifting. This is a deal breaker for me.

Also the auto transmission is not really auto: you have to move the shift lever to go to the next gear.

I'm licking my 2011 Chev Cruze 1.4 turbo auto much better than the new Dodge Dart. The Cruze can be driven fully auto or driven with manual shifting.-whichever way is better for you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Now that's just odd :D
Mine tastes metallic, what about yours? :)

Hopefully the Dart is better built than the Caliber was. I had to send yet another one back to the dealer today for warranty for front balljoints. This is the 3rd time in 5 years on this customer's car. Ours roads are bad but these cars are junk. Her extended warranty paid for itself already.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Yes quality was not a strong point for past Dodges. I had a friend with a Dodge Aspen, said it handled funny, turns out the factory forgot to connect the front sway bar to the suspension. Another friend with a Demon 340 grenaded his engine with very low miles on it.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I wish Alfa would come back to the US.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I believe the 4C sports car will be one of the first Alfa's to show up - built by Maserati - probably $50K+ though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.