Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Drum brakes to disks swap

807 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
Hello guys, I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with drum rear brakes and want to swap it to disk.

What parts I need need to buy?

Is wheel hub same on drum and disk brakes?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
Lots of discussion, but I don't believe I have seen anyone actually do the swap. I know part of it depends on which rear axle you have (with z-link vs without), but there's other parts involved. The hubs appear to be the same, but check through some of the relevant threads to be sure.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
Hello guys, I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with drum rear brakes and want to swap it to disk.

What parts I need need to buy?

Is wheel hub same on drum and disk brakes?
Although as PAChevyCruze said, rear disc brakes look 'cooler'. 😉🤣🖖 , I'll add my $.02 worth. As a rule of thumb, the rear drums do about 20% of the braking. Drums are also better performing than discs generally as well.
IIRC Cruze models with drum brakes have either a GNG or GNC rear axle. You want the GNG

To figure out what axle you have, all you need is to give your VIN to your dealer or try a lookup online. It may also be on the glove box lid.

I am in the US so I would locate one of the following and see if I could get a complete rear axle with hubs. I would go for the Z-Link myself.
LKQ
Pick-N-Pull
Car-Part.com

For example, a yard near me has an axle with brake hubs and it will be about $130.
Auto Parts Prices | LKQ Pick Your Part | LKQ Self Service - Milwaukee
LKQ Self Service - Milwaukee We have the lowest prices for OEM used auto parts and accessories in the area. Ask about our comprehensive 90 Day Worry-Free Guarantee!
www.lkqpickyourpart.com
www.lkqpickyourpart.com

So if you do this, take a lot of pictures and video and tell us how to do it.
How-To: Write a Tutorial

Other threads to look at:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.