Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a problem I cant find misfire on cyl #1 at 2500 - 3800
I have done this so far replaced map ,mass, 02 #1 soap down all intake pluming ,propane engine, coil, plugs, compression is 140 lbs on all cyl, checked injector flash, all 4 injectors, cat temp is 1300 to 1600, long trm fuel trim -26

so where do I go from here

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a dtc p0299 and I looked at the pivot pin yesterday an found it loose
gess I will throw a new turbo it
seen some of the forums here this may fix it but I don't have a warranty

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Our cars are just as bad as our computers, can either be a hardware or a software problem. With a computer lacking huge amounts of equipment to test out the main board, reload Windows to learn if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then a hardware problem.

To do this with a GM vehicle, have to lay out at least 6000 bucks to check out this end of it or get in bed with your dealer. Cruze shop manual is positively the worse manual I have ever looked at for determining hardware problems. Tell you to replace a suspected component with a known good one. How do you know if its good, when they don't even give an once of specs on the component?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ford was the first to come out with this code, instantaneous short loads and in the case of the Cruze, camshaft speed sensor changes will set this code. Causes, any kind of loading on the engine, full load on the alternator, AC compressor, powertrain vibrations that temporally load the engine can set this code.

When you rev your engine, actually need an assistant for this, does your tensioner jump?

Still have the ignition coil that could have a low voltage or high resistant primary circuit, or even the fuel injectors. And perhaps even problems with the engine fuel cutoff. Really have to observe the conditions that set this code.

Ford had to desensitize their firmware, was driving everybody else nuts.

If just one cylinder misfires, excessive oxygen reaches the O2 sensor, so it enriches the other three, this is what can fry your cat. Kind of a self destructive means of designing engine control. Lost the using one O2 sensor per cylinder years ago due to marketing cost considerations. If only the public was more aware of what's going on.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Cruze shop manual is positively the worse manual I have ever looked at for determining hardware problems.
I've seen/heard of worse. At least this manual will tell you what sets a code. Some manuals only tell you want to replace. A classic:

A certain code was defined as "knock sensor". The sensor had been replaced but the code persisted. Eventually, the tech figured out the problem was the engine's base timing. The way the computer worked is that it advanced the spark and looked for a knock. If it didn't get one, it set the code. But the manual writers ass/u/me-d it could only be a defective knock sensor - not a condition that prevented the computer from advancing the timing enough to get a knock. Knowledge of how the test worked would have saved that tech some time trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I put new turbo on and the p0299 is gone but cyl#1 is still missing
so now I gess I throw a intake gsk at it or maybe I have a bad valve on #1 cyl
my hair is getting thinner

l

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Always start off with a compression test, saves a lot of time, then work from there. If a cylinder is low, followed by a cylinder leakage test. If you see bubbles in the coolant, head gasket, air from the TB or in the crankcase, can be carboned up intake valve or rings. Use Seafoam in the TB to learn if that cleans it up, sometimes it does. Out of the exhaust, screwed, have to remove the head.

Testing one coil is fairly simple, use a pulse generator hitting a gated bipolar transistor to drive the primary of the coil with a spark gap tester in the output. Expect to see a 3/8" spark.

View attachment 137938

With the Cruze, have to know the pinouts as it has four coils.

Some use noid lamps for testing injector voltages, I use a scope, can also have carbon build up on the face of the injector that Seafom can correct. Also pulled injectors, never had to replace one yet, how I clean them is a longer story.

Just use codes as a guide, really don't know if you have a loose gas cap or a misfire, dumbest thing I ever heard, when I took my Cruze in with a low brake pedal, you don't have a problem, we are not getting any codes. Been working on engines long before codes were ever invented.

Ha, ever see wires on a carb? Maybe one for the choke heater, these darn things are loaded with wires. What use to take minutes now can kill a day. In some weird attempt to try to make filthy gasoline run clean. Cat can even be the problem, need a pressure test for that, and have to be a monkey to get even near the stuff.

Oh with even spark plugs, new may not be the solution. Ran into misnumbered plugs in the box, and even some with ceramic seal leaks. Later would blow out the spark at greater combustion pressures. Pretest all my plugs first. Takes a few minutes, but can save hours.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i been there and done all that i moved plug 1 to plug 4 and the misfire is still plug 1 so in backprobing no ground coming from ecu
leak down less then 10% so the manual said replace ecu there is no problem on wire x2 pin 1 to pin d of coil the misfiring is between 2400 an 4300 so whats the of this at less then 8000k cracked turbo really so y cant b an ecu

Attachments

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Simple first, are you sure that spark plug conductive spring is not hanging up on the inside of the boot? Though this was dumb the first time I saw this, so I stretched all the springs out so this wouldn't happen and look at all for.

Can still be a weak coil for #1 or a poor connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts