Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any companies have a Dual Exhaust setup for the Gen2 yet? Either axle back or cat-back? Been searching online and can't seem to find one. I would really like a cat-back dual exhaust and get a nice American growl to my Cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
An American growl from a little four banger? Now that is pretty darn funny.

·
2,254 Posts
I don't see any companies yet, but I know GM makes a high flow exhaust system for $995.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,794 Posts
I mean, you can put one on, but there's really no benefit over a single exhaust - if anything, the extra weight and cost will be inhibitors.

But to that point, I haven't seen any in existence yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow @ EricSmit that sounds sweet. My 16 premier auto sounds nothing like that.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
I would guess the hatch has a slightly different muffler/resonator package, as the vehicle overall was made to be "sportier".

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can't get no 'sound' out of a turbo powered car.
Your engine spits it's exhaust straight into the turbocharger, which after the turbo, is just a constant wind.
You could even remove the exhaust can, and run a small pipe after turbo, for weight savings, and it'll still be whisper quiet.

in order to have sound, you'd have to rout 2 cylinders straight to one exhaust, and the other 2 to the other exhaust, and get rid of the turbo.
Which is like 50% HP loss.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You can't get no 'sound' out of a turbo powered car.
Your engine spits it's exhaust straight into the turbocharger, which after the turbo, is just a constant wind.
You could even remove the exhaust can, and run a small pipe after turbo, for weight savings, and it'll still be whisper quiet.

in order to have sound, you'd have to rout 2 cylinders straight to one exhaust, and the other 2 to the other exhaust, and get rid of the turbo.
Which is like 50% HP loss.
Are you seriously trying to tell people that a turbo engine is inherently quiet?

@MP81@rthompson14; I removed my muffler.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Are you seriously trying to tell people that a turbo engine is inherently quiet?

@MP81rthompson14 I removed my muffler.
Yup that'll do it.

And to the comment @EricSmit replied to: turbo cars always quiet? Really? That's a joke, right?

Yes - the turbo does provide some muffling ability, it does not make the engine silent.

Examples: Neon SRT4 - no mufflers, not silent, and probably the most well-known - the Abarth 500. That thing has an absolutely monstrous, gnarly sound, and it's only a 1.4L.

My friend's '88 Ranger with a 2.3L turbo had exactly the kind of exhaust you described: a "small pipe after turbo" - the downpipe right into a cherry bomb (so ****, it even had a glasspack) and then a turn down. It was loud as ****.

Not quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Yup that'll do it.

And to the comment @EricSmit replied to: turbo cars always quiet? Really? That's a joke, right?

Yes - the turbo does provide some muffling ability, it does not make the engine silent.

Examples: Neon SRT4 - no mufflers, not silent, and probably the most well-known - the Abarth 500. That thing has an absolutely monstrous, gnarly sound, and it's only a 1.4L.

My friend's '88 Ranger with a 2.3L turbo had exactly the kind of exhaust you described: a "small pipe after turbo" - the downpipe right into a cherry bomb (so ****, it even had a glasspack) and then a turn down. It was loud as ****.

Not quiet.
I've got a youtube playlist of 800+ hp Evo 8s and 10s that would blow your ears off.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
American growl is a V8 or V12. A four cylinder is made for efficiency not a growl. You young grasshoppers make me laugh.

Drive a corvette or a viper or hellcat, then you will have a growl. A four cylinder to be made to sound tough is more like a meow than growl.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
American growl is a V8 or V12. A four cylinder is made for efficiency not a growl. You young grasshoppers make me laugh.

Drive a corvette or a viper or hellcat, then you will have a growl. A four cylinder to be made to sound tough is more like a meow than growl.
I had a Corvette, and it did not growl; it absolutely roared. You know exactly what I mean.

I actually had a Charger and Mustang as well, but the Corvette was my favorite.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, my Camaro roars... and my Cruze purrs lol! If anything boosted 4 bangers will just scream when pushing a ton of power. But they can be made to sound **** good! Subarus, especially when using the stock unequal length manifold setup, can sound amazing

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
414 Posts
Really...
A car like the Cruze, with a 1.4 liter, parallel, 4 stroke engine, provides 4 consecutive 600cc thuds per rotation, into one exhaust manifold; all forced into the turbo.
The turbo evens out most of the exhaust thuds partly before (backpressure), and while the air goes through the turbine.
So all you'll end up with is turbo whine.

You won't get any 'vrrraaap' or 'bobbobb' sounds out of the exhaust.
I wonder why the stock exhaust is the size it is. All it needs, is perhaps a can 1/5th to 1/10th the size of the current one for muffling, and they still will be well below the 86dB street noise levels at the exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
so does this turbo whine only apply to 4 cylinder engines cuz you can definitely hear more then whine with inline 6 v6 and v8 turboed engines or are they exempt from this. well come to think of it the new Yamaha sidewinder is a inline 3 turbo and it doesn't sound like a turbo. i'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
so does this turbo whine only apply to 4 cylinder engines cuz you can definitely hear more then whine with inline 6 v6 and v8 turboed engines or are they exempt from this. well come to think of it the new Yamaha sidewinder is a inline 3 turbo and it doesn't sound like a turbo. i'm just curious.
It doesn't apply to any of them. The turbo isn't an instant muffler. It doesn't make any engine silent. It's a preposterous statement.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts