Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95% sure that's what it is. Came back from a 250 mi highway drive and noticed the car making weird noises at lower speeds.

Now it's stopped and hasn't come back in several 20-30 min drives, admittedly at lower speeds, but with lots of shifting and load changes. Getting another long high-speed highway drive in for me is relatively difficult with traffic volume here during the week.

Have any of you MT guys been through this and are there any conditions to make it come back so I can take it to the dealer and not be blown off with a "sounds fine to me, can't duplicate issue"?

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Listening to this now, my car did make a similar noise, but not as loud and very brief. A couple of "clicks" and that's it. Remember that noise we heard in the parking lot that one time? I've had mine do it where at certain RPMs, the same noise is made, but it's really on and off, and I can't figure out why it happens sometimes and not other times. Yours is a lot worse than mine ever was.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
In what condition does it happen in?

1. neutral, clutch pushed in?

2 in gear? clutch pushed in?

3. neutral, clutch released?

might be just, an unstable idle due to extra loads such as AC or alternator, or an aging throw-out bearing.

·
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
In what condition does it happen in?

1. neutral, clutch pushed in?

2 in gear? clutch pushed in?

3. neutral, clutch released?
Yes to all of the above. Clutch doesn't change anything.

There was also a really weird sound that sounded like plastic gears meshing when decelerating through the parking lot in 2nd gear. Never heard that one again.

might be just, an unstable idle due to extra loads such as AC or alternator, or an aging throw-out bearing.
Nothing was on at the time - no accessories either.

Popped the hood while it was rattling - 100% from transmission area and not the engine itself or belt side of the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
95% sure that's what it is. Came back from a 250 mi highway drive and noticed the car making weird noises at lower speeds.
I'll take a wild guess that it may take extended time at higher RPM under load (highway driving). I'd think under that condition, the springs would be constantly compressed and at temperature. If they get stuck in that position, you'll have a racket until they unstick.

·
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take a wild guess that it may take extended time at higher RPM under load (highway driving). I'd think under that condition, the springs would be constantly compressed and at temperature. If they get stuck in that position, you'll have a racket until they unstick.
That makes sense. I'll attempt a highway drive and leave it in 4th/5th for a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yup, that's what it sounds like to me. Mine makes that noise from time to time, including on startup...it is just a bit more faint. I HATE DM flywheels. Yes, they are nice for reducing NVH, but every single one I've ever had, has had issues after a while. It is also part of the reason for the excessively disconnected feeling the MT Cruzen have.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Not to mention how heavy a DMF is compared to a solid flywheel, and they add all that weight to the engine's rotating mass. No wonder these cars have such bad rev hang and aren't exactly "rev happy."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts