Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just purchased a '2014 2LT with the RS package. Rain Forest Green. I find it hard to believe that GM has hidden the exhaust on many of their current models. Even my Colorado does not have a tailpipe visible.

I see there is an after market cat back dual pipe system on eBay in the $800 range. I am not looking for sound as much as a nice dual pipe look out the back. If I go duals, I plan to cut out some half circles on the lower bumper to give a factory look to the oval chrome tips. There is not much room for cutouts due to the RS rear bumper cover.

So what do you guys recommend? I searched dual exhaust, etc, and came up nothing really to get ideas. How about some pics? Links?

Thanks, James

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
Have you taken a look at the Verano set up?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Duals on a four cylinder anything that's not a Boxer? Bwaaahahahahaha.

That's like a hood scoop on a Honda...or a rear wing on anything front wheel drive.

And I've owned a lot of 4 cylinder cars.

Reactions: Blancmange

·
Registered
173 Posts

That's like a hood scoop on a Honda...or a rear wing on anything front wheel drive.

:eusa_clap:

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts

Doc - normally you and I agree, but on this one I'm going to have to differ.

The Cadillac ATS, CTS, CT6; Buick Verano; and, Chevrolet Camaro offer standard dual exhaust on four cylinder models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Common Internet misconception right there. FWD & AWD cars benefit from *functional* wings as much(and as little, depending on what the car is doing) as RWD cars... Spoilers aren't just there to stop wheels from spinning under acceleration and rear wheels aren't just there for decoration on a front-driver.

A huge ricer wing is just as rice attached to a Prelude as a Mustang!

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Common Internet misconception right there. FWD & AWD cars benefit from *functional* wings as much(and as little, depending on what the car is doing) as RWD cars... Spoilers aren't just there to stop wheels from spinning under acceleration and rear wheels aren't just there for decoration on a front-driver.

A huge ricer wing is just as rice attached to a Prelude as a Mustang!
Not exactly (I don't disagree but of course everything really depends on actual specific situations) ....and I built a proper swapped and tuned FWD import 16 years ago.. which I still own and drive (9,200 rpm redline, 160 mph top end theoretical because the math says so but I've never tried). So I do know a thing or two about Import performance as well as American performance. I built my first street car that DID prove to top end out of over 155 mph back in 1985. A 1979 Chevy Monza Spyder with a built small block. Didn't keep it long before I sold it. I was too immature at the time for that kind of power in a street driven car

·
Registered
481 Posts
My advice will be to check out an exhaust shop. They can probably do it for you under $300. Make plans with them. You might want to do your cutting between visits to be sure they can manipulate the tail section to fit your idea.

Some people like symmetry. I had duals on my Mazda, stock, and loved the look of it only that way.

Again. When your doing high speed maneuvering, spoilers come in handy on some front and rear drive applications. Straight lines, on occasion as well, but maybe less noticeable.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts

·
10,713 Posts
Flowmaster had a dual setup IIRC and yeah I'm also about duals/quads as well but with a difuser on the non RS bumper. Cutting cutouts the bumper is also fine with me.

This was the look I wanted when I 1st came to the forums.

I have used both actually...check this out

View attachment 29778 View attachment 29786

This Boxer count?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Any inline engine will have much better exhaust flow with a single pipe, otherwise it will mostly follow the path of least resistance. This can be seen on any of those fake dual exhausts when cold outside, one pipe will have 3X the condensation vapor exhausting as the other pipe.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
82 Chevy P-30 motorhome chassis came stock with dual exhaust. Another way to look at this, have not one but two exhaust systems to replace. Back in the 50's, you were nobody unless you had dual exhaust, some cheated by adding a dummy pipe.

Others sprayed cheap gas at the rears to get flames. Supra has two pipes coming off the muffler, but saw a Ford explorer with the same setup but with the pipes coming out the opposite sides, Supra is on the same side.

Back end to the Cruze is so low, if you hang pipes lower, will break them off when leaving practically any parking lot unto the road. Just something to think about. And are you doing this for yourself or trying to impress other people?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Flowmaster had a dual setup IIRC and yeah I'm also about duals/quads as well but with a difuser on the non RS bumper. Cutting cutouts the bumper is also fine with me.

This was the look I wanted when I 1st came to the forums.

This Boxer count?

Actually IMHO the Suburu is one of the best if not the best sounding 4 cylinders out there. Way better than an inline 4.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most of all of this doesn't matter since the pipe is coming off a turbo rather than the engine itself. And in this case, bigger exhaust is usually better. As for fake dual exhaust, well to each their own. I think it's a waste of time and added complexity and weight. But if you want that look....Yep, a lot of companies do it. VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Honda Accord Sport (non-turbo), Dodge Dart, the list goes on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts