Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently took the black plasti dip off my rims which has been on there for exactly 7 months now. Might I add that i completely regret ever putting plasti dip on my rims on the first place. The color turned to a purple-ish grey faded looking finish that was just horrible. Didn't match up to my black cruze and just cheapened the look of the car in all. Anyways I still want my rims black and have been looking around for new ways to do so. I came across the DupliColor product called "Shadow Black Chrome" that i guess is made specifically for rims. It comes in a kit and I was considering trying it on my rims even though they are alloy. I emailed the guy at duplicolor and he said it will work just fine on the alloy it just wont be ass shiny which is fine with me. Anyways just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product or possibly heard of experiences with it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
i think this will turn out good
i agree with the plasti dip not suiting the paint of the black cruze, it might work out if you coat it with the glossifier though

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I want to see how this turns out. I would like to black chrome all the chrome pieces on mine. There's a website with a product called hyper black that would be more professional but I think more pricey. I'll try to find the link

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the first few months i touched them occasionally, and i did lightly wash and rub a towel over the plasti dip but I still regret it, would never consider doing the rims plasti dipped again. Also took forever to get it all off.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
I want to see how this turns out. I would like to black chrome all the chrome pieces on mine. There's a website with a product called hyper black that would be more professional but I think more pricey. I'll try to find the link

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We do Hyper Black for OEM a lot, and it's a tough color for professionals (us) to paint. I hear it's real easy to mess up. Make sure to prep it REAL good and get some practice on something else first.

I'd be curious to see a pic of the rims now to see what the plasti-dip did.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do Hyper Black for OEM a lot, and it's a tough color for professionals (us) to paint. I hear it's real easy to mess up. Make sure to prep it REAL good and get some practice on something else first.

I'd be curious to see a pic of the rims now to see what the plasti-dip did.
Yeah I read that the hyper black is pretty tough to use. Anyways I'm leaning more towards powedercoating right now. As for the plastidip, I already ripped it off and don't really have any recent pictures. It just lost its color, honestly it was more of a dark grey than black. Just turned really ugly after about 3 months.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.