Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Durability of the 1.4 turbo engine

81K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  jc. 
#1 ·
I know this is highly speculative, but has anyone an opinion of how long a properly maintained 1.4 turbo engine will last? At 20,000 a year, 50% highway, will it go 200,000 without major repairs? Have we any data on this yet?

Will it for example be as tough as the old 3.8 litre GM engine?

thanks,
Joe

Discussion starter · #21 ·
How high were you reving it? Hitting the track...what do you mean by that?

On the first 10k on my cruze i lost a manual transmission. (The bearing whine) On my replacement i didn't mess around and swapped the trans fluid with ams oil. Still runs great. @ 55K miles now.

I blew my second turbo by hitting the track 5 days in a row, by the 5th day i could hear a whine when it was spooled. A week later it failed on my way to work. Stock turbo is amazingly reliable as long as you let it rest between pulls.

Im very confident in the engine *knock on wood* We'll see how it holds up to the bigger turbo.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Old tread I know...but any updates on comments on how our 1.4 turbos are doing? Or any comments on what you are hearing out there? Is it starting to develop a reputation for being tough...or are there some problems showing up?

thanks,
Joe

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Hard to believe it's been over five years since I started this thread. I now have 98,000 miles on my 1.4 turbo and all is well.

Any further feedback on the general durability of the 1.4 turbo? I'm hoping to make it to 200,000.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. By the way, I'm still on my original tires! They are Goodyear assurance. I will be replacing them around 105,000 or so. Great tires. Never even had a leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.