Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL I have a chevrolet cruze with rear disk brake with Ebrake have just change the rear brake pad but now the right Ebrake is loose and dont holdI have only the left one that work I removed the center console but there is no nut to tighten the brake can you help me ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
What did you use to retract the pistons?

The photos of the calipers show the arms at almost full travel (applied)

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
The reason why you can't find a nut, its suppose to be self adjusting, if it ain't working and you have a lot of hand brake travel, suppose to replace this mechanism. For this reason, wish they stuck with the nut, a heck of a lot simpler and save another problem. Use to be in the bottom of the vehicle, had to keep that anti-siezed with all this stupid road salt, then it was moved into the console. This wasn't so bad when screws were used, but then started this snap together BS.

But when you push that hand brake down, that dog should release and move backwards, if it bite in won't move back so have a loose handbrake, sometimes it can be manually released and a tad of grease on it.

Hand brake doesn't have a darn thing to do with pad wear, just make sure the levers on the calipers go all the way back, if they don't, can't use your handbrake to adjust for pad wear. Several dealers I met are so stupid, didn't even know this, but they call themselves the experts, experts at BS.

You have to screw the calipers in, was a standard like 30 year old tool for this, the basterds had to change this, have to buy a new tool with those two opposite holes in the piston, said screw the, have a large pair of long nose pliers.

And like you can screw those pistons in, can also screw them out, by sliding the caliper in and out, can set time exactly right, but I like to screw them in to make sure the handbrake is still capable of adjusting them. Unlike drums when you have to drive in reverse and constantly tap on the brake pedal to get a full pedal, with calipers, can do this when parked.

Sure love the four wheel disc brakes on my Supra, rear calipers in principle are the same as for the fronts, cheap, and inherently self adjustable. For the parking brake, rotor has a drum built in for shoes that are totally independent of the service brakes and positively trouble free.

Been fooling around with GM read disc calipers for over 30 years, always problems and an arm and a leg to replace, and always problems. They could have copied these, patent is long expired, but keep on using the same old crap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts