Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw two news stories yesterday on different channels talking about the oil companies wanting to go to E15 gasoline at the pumps. The story claimed that almost no car manufacturers have vehicles that will run on E15 without damaging the engine and fuel systems. I'm assuming that any E85 vehicles can use it safely, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else heard of this? Here's another news release on the subject.

Ethanol Industry, EPA Ready for E15 Rollout | RFA: Renewable Fuels Association

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...yeah, AAA is "poo-poo'ing" E15 too. Apparently EPA and gooberment OK'd E15 in-spite of objections from ALL the car manufacturers and the gasoline companies.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
E85 vehicles would care less. Our Cruzes would probably care less too since apparently all they're lacking to be E85 vehicles is the sensor, larger injectors, and appropriate ECU programming.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
E85 vehicles would care less. Our Cruzes would probably care less too since apparently all they're lacking to be E85 vehicles is the sensor, larger injectors, and appropriate ECU programming.
*Which* some of us will remedy in the near future :)

·
Administrator
25,493 Posts
The 1.4T engine is rated for E15. Our fuel system including the injectors, however, is not.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My understanding is that E15 will be an available fuel grade to choose from. We'll still be able to use the current fuels.

·
Administrator
25,493 Posts
LOL, why would anyone elect to use E15?!
Very good question. Until ethanol's energy production and distribution costs come down, it actually take more energy to produce than gasoline. On the flip side, if the energy used in ethanol production is solar and/or wind and distribution is done with ethanol powered vehicles, ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel since all the carbon emitted while burning it had just recently been pulled out of the atmosphere by the plants while they were growing.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,271 Posts
Very good question. Until ethanol's energy production and distribution costs come down, it actually take more energy to produce than gasoline. On the flip side, if the energy used in ethanol production is solar and/or wind and distribution is done with ethanol powered vehicles, ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel since all the carbon emitted while burning it had just recently been pulled out of the atmosphere by the plants while they were growing.
I really like that theory ! May the production plants except that intuition in the near future. Amen .

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you have a vehicle that has had gasoline run it in for a few years or more, you want to run the least amount of ethanol possible. Starting to use e85 or another high ethanol content fuel clean away all the "varnish" from the tank and fuel system that gasoline creates, and will clog the filters and such.

However, no car company will ever convince me that cars "cant" run higher ethanol contents or even e85 without the flex fuel rating. I have run e85 and have seen e85 run in plenty of vehicles from the late 80's to new cars for extended amounts of time and mileage and not one of them ever needed maintenance beyond a new fuel filter because of the e85. Back in Pittsburgh when e85 came out it was no less than 50 cents a gallon cheaper than regular 87. and that savings more than made up for a loss of 1 or 2 mpg. So my dad's company ran it in everything, and so did I. Even in my old 1988 Toyota pickup with the 3.0 v6. after about 3 tanks, the fuel filter got replaced, and after that it was gravy. Most of his company vehicles put over a hundred thousand miles on the odometer running e85, and my Toyota pickup got about 30k. Never a single problem due to fuel.

I have not run it in about 3 years because I do not have access to it here in Virginia beach that I know of. If I did i woulda have already gotten the bigger injectors and new tune lol.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am a part owner of a small engine shop and we do warranties and we sell equipment and if someone puts e15 in any piece of new equipment it will automatically VOID all warranties that the equipment might have on it. :/ e10 is already bad enough on carburetors on small equipment i hope they dont go to e15

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
AAA, which issued its warning Friday, says just 12 million of more than 240 million cars, trucks and SUVs now in use have manufacturers' approval for E15. Flex-fuel vehicles, 2012 and newer General Motors vehicles, 2013 Fords and 2001 and later model Porsches are the exceptions, according to AAA, the nation's largest motorist group, with 53.5 million members.
This makes it sound like newer cruzes would be ok to run on e15 unless im reading this wrong. AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage

·
Administrator
25,493 Posts
Page 9-44 of the 2012 Cruze owner's manual implies E15 is ok to use.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am a part owner of a small engine shop and we do warranties and we sell equipment and if someone puts e15 in any piece of new equipment it will automatically VOID all warranties that the equipment might have on it. :/ e10 is already bad enough on carburetors on small equipment i hope they dont go to e15
You should put a disclaimer on such statements, something along the lines of, "This applies in my country only, elsewhere in the world, the use of E85 fuel will not void your warranty."

Because, strange as it may seem, in other countries, where E85 fuel is already in use, and has been for quite some time, the cars still keep running and the warranties keep being honoured.:)

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
You should put a disclaimer on such statements, something along the lines of, "This applies in my country only, elsewhere in the world, the use of E85 fuel will not void your warranty."

Because, strange as it may seem, in other countries, where E85 fuel is already in use, and has been for quite some time, the cars still keep running and the warranties keep being honoured.:)
He was speaking of small engines(lawn mower, weed wacker, ect.). In these engines it seems that even 10% ethanol leads to failures. From what I have seen most of the time people leave fuel in these small engine powered equipment when not in use for months(snow blower comes to mind). The fuel drys up leaving a residue in the carb which once new fuel is introduced plugs everything up.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

...it's the difference between anecdotal and actual examples, ie: apples (small engines) & oranges (automotive engines), etc.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Our Chevy Cruzes are made to run on E15. I would argue that they run better on E15 rather than E10 or even pure gasoline.

Here are two videos that make me think so, along with personal experience:

The first one I like best. Basically, 88 octane E15 causes our 1.4 eco turbos to run cooler, thus effectively eliminating knock. At least it has helped almost as much as 93 octane E10 and more than 89 octane E10. And more than 91 octane E0!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts