Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals I have a stupid question that no one I have talked to seems to be able to answer. Can our Cruze's use E85 Flex? On the Onstar diags page it says this "FlexFuel E85 Compatible" I asked Chevy and they don't have an answer. They said it it was meant for E85 the cap would be yellow but I have seen in a few places that some people tried it in the 1.4's and it worked fine. (I have an LS 1.8). Any thoughts..insights into this? Flexfuel while has a worse MPG is drastically lower in price right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have a 1.8L and saw the same thing on my onstar. I also searched the net for a free vin number decoder and it also stated that it was FFV also. I attempted to contact dealer and chevy. Got a very nice reply stating that it was not. I would like to know why the vin number spits out the info that it is. Anyone have a vin code for dummies answer.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Before you guys fill up with the cheaper E-85 fuel, your MPG return is going to be noticeably lower. The energy content of E-85 is quite a bit less than that of Gasoline. So the money you save at the point will get lost over the course of burning through the tank.

Just a little food for thought.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Im going to try it on my 1.4 next fill up idk if mine is flex fuel compatible.
Yeah that's a smart idea. :rolleyes:

Before you guys fill up with the cheaper E-85 fuel, your MPG return is going to be noticeably lower. The energy content of E-85 is quite a bit less than that of Gasoline. So the money you save at the point will get lost over the course of burning through the tank.
Exactly! Why would anyone chance it by putting E85 in their Cruze with NO benefit???

·
Registered
558 Posts
WHOA! Hold on. The 2011 Cruze is NOT Flex Fuel capable. It cannot handle anything more than the E10 that is commonly available. Maybe E15 if congress decides to force that on us, but no way on E85. Do not put E85 in your Cruze.

There has been talk about the Cruze being Flex Fuel Capable during the 2012 model year when the engines start coming from the engine plant in Flint MI instead of Austria, but I have not heard confirmation on that yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The main limitation on using E85 fuel has nothing to do with the engines/ECU's ability to run on the fuel, and everything to do with the fuel storage and delivery system. For a non E85 system, use of E85 can cause lots of issues with corrosion and fuel delivery fouling etc. Even the intakes have slightly different coatings in an E85 compatible vehicle.

The yellow fuel filler cap is the best rule to follow. No yellow filler cap, no E85 fuel.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The main limitation on using E85 fuel has nothing to do with the engines/ECU's ability to run on the fuel, and everything to do with the fuel storage and delivery system. For a non E85 system, use of E85 can cause lots of issues with corrosion and fuel delivery fouling etc. Even the intakes have slightly different coatings in an E85 compatible vehicle.

The yellow fuel filler cap is the best rule to follow. No yellow filler cap, no E85 fuel.
That is 100% correct. The fuel tank, lines, and intake tract have to be more corrosion resistant to handle the more aggressive ethanol. Naturally, this costs more money to produce.
Yes the ECM needs to have the hardware and software to detect ethanol level and adjust to it, but the bulk of the preparation of a fuel system for E85 lies in protecting the components that the fuel comes in contact with.
If it was simple and cost effective to swap components for the North American 1.4T engines in Austria I'm sure GM would have done it to make the 2011s Flex Fuel capable. Our major stock holders, the Government, loves it when we make cars E85 capable.
It would have been an extra bit of greenness to tout for the Volt too, but that too has to wait until next year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is pointing at it is compatible. And it is a huge difference when reg is at 3.80 and flex is at 2.89. Even the less mpg is still worth it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Everything is pointing at it is compatible. And it is a huge difference when reg is at 3.80 and flex is at 2.89. Even the less mpg is still worth it.
Then go ahead and put it in YOUR car.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Just a little food for thought.
Octane higher, BTU lower and the stuff loves water! Also, fuel system can suffer damage if not specifically designed for it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would love to be proven wrong on this, as I think ethanol has a lot of short term potential with developing technologies and processes. But I do not see anything pointing to the 2011 Cruze being flex fuel capable. If it were GM would badge it as such and use the yellow gas cap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to be proven wrong on this, as I think ethanol has a lot of short term potential with developing technologies and processes. But I do not see anything pointing to the 2011 Cruze being flex fuel capable. If it were GM would badge it as such and use the yellow gas cap.

There are several signs directly from GM pointing it is. Mainly

"
Engine Type1.8L L4 DOHC 16V FFV "

FFV stands for
Flexible-fuel vehicle

Flexible-fuel vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is plausible GM did not want to market the FFV for the Cruze for several reasons. From a business standpoint they want the Cruze to be a consumer car not a fleet vehicle. GM has learned through the Colbolt there is no profit and actually losses when selling large volumes to fleet rentals etc. It hurts the value of the car. Also, from a business standpoint they probably want people to bump up to a Malibu to get the E85 because they make more money on the Malibu. There could be 100's of reasons why Chevy did not want to market it...but from a technical point the cars show by engine and car specs that it can handle it.

Also, on onstar it shows,
Information on your 2011 Chevrolet Cruze, as of ( 02/28/2011 )

VIN: 1G1PC5SH4B******** FlexFuel E85 Compatible https://www.onstar.com/ovd-portlet/jsp/redirect.jsp?cmp=OVD_monthly_e85_chevy&vels=[deliveryLogId]&accountNo=[ACCOUNT_NBR]&redirect=http://www.gm.com/experience/fuel_economy/e85/index.jsp%3Fdeep=what

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree that the engine is likely E85 compatible, but I seriously doubt the fuel delivery and storage are E85 compatible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
E85 vehicles require corrosion resistant coatings on the fuel tank and delivery system, as well as the intake system. Without this, the engine will run fine, right up until the fuel delivery system fails.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Most Internal Combustion Engines are capable on running on pretty much anything combustible. Like noted before, the delivery system is a whole different story. Ethanol will eat right through the normal rubber hoses used on vehicles, hence it has to be E85 compatible.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...the "old" GM Powertrain division has not (yet) updated their website listing all the engines and what each is EPA & CARB(Calif) certified for...

...the last data posted is for the 2010 model year.

...maybe, if enough people "bug" them for the information, they might get 2011 information updated?!?!?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts