Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried and or had any luck with these? They are supposed to replace one of the license plate lights.. One like this : CMOS NTSC Car Reverse Backup Rear View Camera Fit for Chevrolet Cruze 09 11 | eBay

I was wondering if the light output is still the same since the part where the light comes out of is a little smaller than OEM. And if they even fit correctly.. I want to install a back up camera system and i really don't want something that bolts up to the license plate. It doesn't look clean IMO and it looks like someone can just walk up and steal it. Maybe if there's another option to get a backup camera system and look like it came from factory without costing an arm and a leg then I'm open to ideas.. Please help :)

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Theoretically someone could walk up and steal it, yes, since the screws are exposed. But such people would be interested in more than just your $30 backup camera. Plus, they'd be cutting all the wires, and would be baffled come time to reinstall it. Theft would be of 0 concern to me on this.

As for the lighting, I think you should be fine. Upgrade to 194 LED replacements for a little extra light output if you're worried about it. Here's a quick link, there are definitely cheaper options, just make sure to get ones that look like these for fitment purposes. 2 Xenon White 5 SMD 5050 912 921 T10 LED Bulbs Car Backup Reverse Lights | eBay

Finally, regarding the camera itself, I couldn't tell ya, lol. I'm not sure what type of input the MyLink display has, etc. It says it will work, it looks like it would work... I'd go for it. $30, what do you have to lose? Pay with PayPal so you have that extra insurance if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Couldn't have said it better. Camera should function fine for the intended purposes. It may or may not last as long but for $30 go for it.

Sent from iFail Mobile

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the MyLink in my cruze ;( I'd have to buy a separate screen for it. Which I'd probably buy on eBay lol. I'll just try my luck with it. Not really much to lose.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I don't have the MyLink in my cruze ;( I'd have to buy a separate screen for it. Which I'd probably buy on eBay lol. I'll just try my luck with it. Not really much to lose.
3 options for second screens.

- replace your rear view mirror with one that has a screen

- replace driver's visor with a built in screen

- buy a 3 or 4" miniature screen and mount it on dash or near rear view mirror

Courtesy of Wikipedia

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm gonna spring for the separate screen since it'll make the install a little easier. Btw while I got you guys here I was also wondering which fuses could I piggy back on or "add a fuse" to that will only have 12V when the engine is running so I can install DRL separately? I found a couple that are active with the ignition on but I wanted one that'll only be on with the engine running.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
I think I'm gonna spring for the separate screen since it'll make the install a little easier. Btw while I got you guys here I was also wondering which fuses could I piggy back on or "add a fuse" to that will only have 12V when the engine is running so I can install DRL separately? I found a couple that are active with the ignition on but I wanted one that'll only be on with the engine running.
Don't know the fuse numbers of hand but either of the cig lighter ones will work. Typically for the back up camera you would tap into the reverse light for power so it only comes on in reverse.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah I know about the camera. I was wondering for the DRL I'm trying to install. Wouldn't the cigarette lighter turn on with the ignition? I wanted a fuse that turns on only when the engine is running..

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Oh yeah I know about the camera. I was wondering for the DRL I'm trying to install. Wouldn't the cigarette lighter turn on with the ignition? I wanted a fuse that turns on only when the engine is running..
You would need a relay for this but I highly recommend grabbing a push-button switch and wire them into that. I know it takes getting used to but what's the difference between hitting that and putting your key in the ignition? Becomes habit after while. Pretty much everything in the car runs off direct power or ACC (when the key is turned regardless of engine turnover)

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Looks like it might fit. It says it comes with a LED Build already. Why they choose to use grey text on a grey background I will never understand (unless it is to purposefully make it hard to read).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You would need a relay for this but I highly recommend grabbing a push-button switch and wire them into that. I know it takes getting used to but what's the difference between hitting that and putting your key in the ignition? Becomes habit after while. Pretty much everything in the car runs off direct power or ACC (when the key is turned regardless of engine turnover)
I got a relay and switch for my lights. But I just wanted it to be automatic. Darn! Thanks anyway. I agree. It does become a habit. Like shutting the automatic lights off during the day, well until I pulled the spring out of the switch haha.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would try it out, if it had wireless so it could send the video to my tablet.
I end up buying it and a separate screen. The part where the light is supposed to screw in is incorrect tho. There's no pins for the socket to screw into. So I'm using some double sided tape to keep the bulb from moving around. Otherwise it's pretty good. 40$ for the monitor and the camera was well spent. We'll see how long they last.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I end up buying it and a separate screen. The part where the light is supposed to screw in is incorrect tho. There's no pins for the socket to screw into. So I'm using some double sided tape to keep the bulb from moving around. Otherwise it's pretty good. 40$ for the monitor and the camera was well spent. We'll see how long they last.
What monitor did you get?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Cool, thanks. Let us know how it all works out. If it keeps working well for you then I will probably try it out. I have not been able to find anything I really like which will send video to the tablet.
I saw a couple wireless cameras on amazon. But all the reviews say they're unreliable and gets really hot.

Oh and what's a thread without without some pictures:
Green Windshield Vehicle door Vehicle Glass Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Trunk Vehicle Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror Car Mode of transport

Makes the world of a difference when parking! Definitely worth the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I saw a couple wireless cameras on amazon. But all the reviews say they're unreliable and gets really hot.
Yeah, that is what I am seeing as well. But most of them are because the users are running them full time, not just while in reverse.

Makes the world of a difference when parking! Definitely worth the purchase.
Looks good

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahhhh. I get it. Install must be easier since you don't have to run all the wiring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts