Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is new since this is the first time ive used the ebrake but I have to ask.

My front left tire went flat yesterday so I took the tire off and put the spare on along with the ebrake. Afterwards I took the tire with another vehicle to get plugged. Came home and replaced the tire back to the original. Turned off the ebrake and drove a little bit and when I came back I noticed that the ebrake lever can be pulled up without the need of pressing the button. Just seems a little loose and not normal but maybe it is so I figured I should ask.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Trying to think of a vehicle that you can pull on the hand or foot parking brake without pushing that button. Even my 30 Olds was this way, except it locked all four wheels instead of two.

But to release it, had to pull back on the handle, then push on that button, if you didn't pull back on it first, could not push on the button, but could hit it with a hammer.

Use to always use a nut to adjust the height of the handbrake, maybe once or twice during the life of the vehicle, had to adjust it, most used a double nut. Cruze engineers decided to make this automatic, when you put it down, a dog that bites into a rod readjusts it by sliding forward. But if it sticks, or worse yet, slides, you can pull your hand brake all the way up without too much action. Only cure is to replace the hand brake assembly, runs around 40 bucks on ebay.

Mentioned a flat tire, that 30 Olds had two identical spare tires to the other four, 37 Caddy Limo was the last car that had these, then there was one identical to the other four in the trunk. Then compact spares came along, really stupid with mandatory ABS, then with many new vehicle, none, just get a spray can.

This is why us old guys say, dey don't make em like dey use to.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
Yes, you can pull up the E-brake without pushing the button (it should ratchet and lock in place at each step on the way up).

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,678 Posts
Yes, you can pull up the E-brake without pushing the button (it should ratchet and lock in place at each step on the way up).
That's how it is on any vehicle I've been in with a lever/handle-style e-brake. My Cobalt, Cavalier, our Cruze. Only need the button to release the ratchet.

My Camaro is a pedal-style E-Brake because I have no idea. '60s Drugs? My third gen was a console handle.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
That's how it is on any vehicle I've been in with a lever/handle-style e-brake. My Cobalt, Cavalier, our Cruze. Only need the button to release the ratchet.

My Camaro is a pedal-style E-Brake because I have no idea. '60s Drugs? My third gen was a console handle.
Yep, every console one I've ever had was the same way.

My 16 Cruze and the 12 Camry and 10 Highlander is a foot brake - its console mounted on the manual Cruzes still. I'd rather have that than the new electronic parking brakes I guess.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,678 Posts
Yep, every console one I've ever had was the same way.

My 16 Cruze and the 12 Camry and 10 Highlander is a foot brake - its console mounted on the manual Cruzes still. I'd rather have that than the new electronic parking brakes I guess.
I love the electric parking brake on my Volt - granted, I can't be ripping it in a corner to drift through a snow-covered turn sideways, but that's probably for the better, hahaha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts