Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
If the ecm had been damaged the problem would have been immediate.

Off the top of my head, a major circuit is opening the moment a load is applied......could even be a battery with a broken internal connector.

Connector (under the top cover) count is 5....6 cells, 2 external terminals.
When a fracture occurs, the connector will 'draw up' as it heats......we are talking thousandth's here, and the battery goes 'open'.

This results in total current loss........yet a test, usually taken with no load and cold connectors will show normal voltage.
The moment a load is introduced, the voltage will show 0.

Often, low draw components, such as a radio, sometimes some lights, will work......until more load is introduced....then, back to 0.

So, my first thought is a battery with a second thought along the lines of a main circuit interruption.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I could see that giving a tech the run-around, but I'd think the loss of all electrical power (for the tech) would be a big clue. Like going to crank and seeing everything die.
Sometimes, even we go brain dead.......it's that, human thing.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
They seem to not be sure what it is. The service manager who updated me said the technician was "at a standstill" yesterday - not sure why nothing is communicating. I spoke with them this morning and they said I would have an update today, but they close in 40 minutes.
Time to rattle their cage, eh?

Do they at least have you in a car?

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Press State Farm......That roadside assist response was out and out b/s......if they don't want to play the roadside assistance game then stop offering the coverage.

Since there is fire or heat melting a wire harness mindset, this is a insurance claim since the car is out of warranty.......actually, even in warranty these are often insurance co. babies since the odds of finding the cause are less than likely.
A trans does not start a fire......that was dumb speculation on the dealers part.....

Someone speculated rodent damage and that is a possibility........also, a wire rubbing against metal, ultimately wearing through the insulation and shorting out, creating a fire is a possibility.

All that aside......speculation on all parties is a waste of time.

Your car has experienced a electrical fire.......State Farm is in the business of Comprehensive coverage.....Fire is a comprehensive claim......there is no discussion here......call State Farm in Bloomington Ill. if you must but it is time to become a PITA consumer.

If they want to subrogate the expense with GM down the road, that is their problem, not yours.

RAISE HEdoublehockystick!,

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I've noted the same thing as ChevyGuy regarding heat damage.

Specifically noted the burned cover for the turbo oil line.....this lives right behind the primary catalyst.

I suspect there is a engine problem and that cat was running red red red hot for quite awhile.......that cover is almost indestructable from heat......but your Cruze found a way.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
It doesn't seem like we're getting the whole story. If your car had a fire you should have got your insurance involved if you have any. Now it sounds like you have partially disassembled and damaged vehicle in your possession and are trying to fix it yourself. Good luck with that.
Read the whole thread......the OP has involved his insurance co. and they are of the mindset it is not their concern.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts