Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Call your insurance company back and tell them to get an adjustor out to the dealership ASAP.
Make sure to point out the car has already been siting at the dealership for XXX number of weeks, might speed up their response time. BTW when My girlfriend took out the oil pan of our cavalier on a block of wood in the road, insurance adjuster was at the dealer the very next day.... No excuses for a slow response.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Call your insurance company back and tell them to get an adjustor out to the dealership ASAP. That's a bullshit response from the insurance company. I highly doubt the ECM reprogram caused this. While I agree this is very likely a component failure your insurance company, GM, and the dealership need to work out who's paying for what. At most you should be responsible for at this point is your insurance non-collision deductible.
I also doubt the ECM reprogram had anything to do with this. Definitely seems like a mechanical failure somewhere that caused this. I'm waiting to see what the dealership says after they speak with the manager. I'll give insurance a call and see if they can get someone over there too. Oh and State Farm said they're afraid if I do make a claim, they'll drop me because I had too many Road Side Assistance claims recently - all pertaining to this car. Once for the negative battery cable recall, once for coolant leak with the water pump special coverage, and now here with the fire issue. Lovely.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I also doubt the ECM reprogram had anything to do with this. Definitely seems like a mechanical failure somewhere that caused this. I'm waiting to see what the dealership says after they speak with the manager. I'll give insurance a call and see if they can get someone over there too. Oh and State Farm said they're afraid if I do make a claim, they'll drop me because I had too many Road Side Assistance claims recently - all pertaining to this car. Once for the negative battery cable recall, once for coolant leak with the water pump special coverage, and now here with the fire issue. Lovely.
Tell State Farm that you're trying to get this fixed so the car won't keep dying on the road. If you need to get your state insurance commission involved. Dropping for roadside assistance claims is bullshit - they pay more to find a new customer than they've payed in those claims.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
too many Road Side Assistance claims recently - all pertaining to this car. Once for the negative battery cable recall, once for coolant leak with the water pump special coverage, and now here with the fire issue. Lovely.
Do you have less than 100K on the car? Seems GM should have paid for those tows, not your insurance. All chevy's come with free roadside assistance for 5years/100K.
Roadside Assistance: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC & Cadillac

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd like to hear what Robby has to say. If the transmission caught fire, I'd think GM would be on the hook for the whole thing since it was the failure of a covered part that started it.

However, I'm wondering how this happened without setting a code well before a fire started. IIRC, the transmission temp is estimated, but I'm sure slippage is monitored. (By comparing engine RPM and vehicle speed.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I read about the NHTSA investigations into 2011 and 2012 Cruzes catching fire due to oil dripping onto hot parts due to a missing shield. The fire occurred right below the oil filter, so maybe that is the case? It sucks the dealership doesn't have a more definitive answer on what is happening. Like jblackburn said, I would think the tranny would have given out before catching fire or heating to that point, but I'm no mechanic.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I read about the NHTSA investigations into 2011 and 2012 Cruzes catching fire due to oil dripping onto hot parts due to a missing shield.
IIRC, the problem was a shield that would trap the oil and prevent it from reaching the ground. There was a recall to hack a chunk out of it to "fix" that.

The fire occurred right below the oil filter, so maybe that is the case?
That sounds more likely. You could have had a leak at the oil filter and it dripped down onto the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dealer called back and recommended I contact GM directly and open a case with their claims team, at which point GM and the dealer will work together directly. They said they can try to work with them to get them to cover the costs of getting the car to a point where they can communicate with the ECM and modules so they can try to see what was happening at the time of the incident - although it was over 2 weeks ago, I don't know how long that information is stored.

Hopefully GM will agree to something and we can try to get more information out of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Press State Farm......That roadside assist response was out and out b/s......if they don't want to play the roadside assistance game then stop offering the coverage.

Since there is fire or heat melting a wire harness mindset, this is a insurance claim since the car is out of warranty.......actually, even in warranty these are often insurance co. babies since the odds of finding the cause are less than likely.
A trans does not start a fire......that was dumb speculation on the dealers part.....

Someone speculated rodent damage and that is a possibility........also, a wire rubbing against metal, ultimately wearing through the insulation and shorting out, creating a fire is a possibility.

All that aside......speculation on all parties is a waste of time.

Your car has experienced a electrical fire.......State Farm is in the business of Comprehensive coverage.....Fire is a comprehensive claim......there is no discussion here......call State Farm in Bloomington Ill. if you must but it is time to become a PITA consumer.

If they want to subrogate the expense with GM down the road, that is their problem, not yours.

RAISE HEdoublehockystick!,

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am going to wait to see what GM and the Dealership come back with - if GM agrees to front the bill to get the car to a point where they can diagnose cause, that's fine with me. At that point, the cause will either be GM taking the responsibility, or if something not under warranty like chewed wires, then I will push State Farm.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I read about the NHTSA investigations into 2011 and 2012 Cruzes catching fire due to oil dripping onto hot parts due to a missing shield. The fire occurred right below the oil filter, so maybe that is the case? It sucks the dealership doesn't have a more definitive answer on what is happening. Like jblackburn said, I would think the tranny would have given out before catching fire or heating to that point, but I'm no mechanic.
We're saddened to hear you're experiencing such frustrations with your Cruze, Jeremi1023. After reviewing the thread, it is to my understanding you're planning on contacting our Customer Care team for further assistance. Have you connected with them yet? We just wanted to chime in to let you know we're available via private message if additional help is needed. :)

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We're saddened to hear you're experiencing such frustrations with your Cruze, Jeremi1023. After reviewing the thread, it is to my understanding you're planning on contacting our Customer Care team for further assistance. Have you connected with them yet? We just wanted to chime in to let you know we're available via private message if additional help is needed. :)

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hello,

I did contact the Claims Assistance Team on Monday, but have yet to hear back.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello,

I did contact the Claims Assistance Team on Monday, but have yet to hear back.
Thanks for the follow up, Jeremi1023. If you'd like, we can certainly check the case to see if there are any pertinent updates and request the owning agent touch base with you for a follow up. Just verify the case number within a private message if you want to go this route.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Update: GM came back and said they found no manufacturer defects in the vehicle.

They cannot determine what the cause of the fire was.

All they know is that some data lines and TPM lines are melted.

Does anyone here know if a non communicative TPM would cause the car to not start? Trying to figure out if I should just bite the bullet and replace/repair said cable - but not sure if that is the actual cause of no crank.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It's an insurance comprehensive claim then. Contact State Farm and let them split the cost with GM.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts