Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
That looks suspiciously like a short circuit caused fire.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It certainly doesn't look like what I think of as a fire. Heat yes, but I'm not seeing any combustion.

I'm seeing a melted wire loom, but I'm not yet seeing any damage to the wire itself. I'd start carefully clipping off that melted plastic loom and see what's underneath. See if you can determine if the heat came from the inside or the outside.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It certainly doesn't look like what I think of as a fire. Heat yes, but I'm not seeing any combustion.

I'm seeing a melted wire loom, but I'm not yet seeing any damage to the wire itself. I'd start carefully clipping off that melted plastic loom and see what's underneath. See if you can determine if the heat came from the inside or the outside.
I have gone through the looms of the harness and tested all with a multimeter and all have continuity at least. I don't see any broken wires actually.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
See if you can determine if the heat came from the inside or the outside.
I should add that I think the heat came from the outside of the loom. Because the wires on the inside look remarkably intact - too intact for the heat to come from the inside. I'd expect to see deformed insulation. But the wires I can see look nearly pristine (good color, the shape is correct) while the loom is deformed.

I have gone through the looms of the harness and tested all with a multimeter and all have continuity at least. I don't see any broken wires actually.
Which raises the possibility that this is a red herring. The tech looked at the loom and decided that was the problem. The real problem may be elsewhere. It might be time to go to another dealer.

I'd add that continuity alone is not enough. Some of the wires might be coax for high speed communication. If deformed, it could interfere with the signals. So what is the physical condition of the actual wires?

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I've noted the same thing as ChevyGuy regarding heat damage.

Specifically noted the burned cover for the turbo oil line.....this lives right behind the primary catalyst.

I suspect there is a engine problem and that cat was running red red red hot for quite awhile.......that cover is almost indestructable from heat......but your Cruze found a way.

Rob

·
Registered
116 Posts
It doesn't seem like we're getting the whole story. If your car had a fire you should have got your insurance involved if you have any. Now it sounds like you have partially disassembled and damaged vehicle in your possession and are trying to fix it yourself. Good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
It doesn't seem like we're getting the whole story. If your car had a fire you should have got your insurance involved if you have any. Now it sounds like you have partially disassembled and damaged vehicle in your possession and are trying to fix it yourself. Good luck with that.
Read the whole thread......the OP has involved his insurance co. and they are of the mindset it is not their concern.

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Not the case at all - From the very start I spoke with insurance, and they pushed me to have GM check it out, which was done - and GM stated they found no manufacturer defects. Now, my insurance adjuster said what he saw was normal wear and tear (he did not look at the car for more than a couple minutes). I just got the invoice from the dealership and have sent that to insurance - it goes into great detail as to what they found and tested. It states they discovered fire damage to the TCM connector, cooler lines, etc.

Now I am waiting for insurance to use that information to determine if they will be covering my claim.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It states they discovered fire damage to the TCM connector, cooler lines, etc.

Now I am waiting for insurance to use that information to determine if they will be covering my claim.
Ugh. I think you may be stuck in the middle. Insurance probably covers external events while the dealer is denying that this was some kind of internal malfunction.

Frankly, I think diagnosis is always a tad suspect until everything is fixed. I say this as a guy who has spent a life time making things work. Diagnosis is a theory - the proof is when it's running again. I can't tell you how many times my initial theory of the problem was wrong. What it took to get things working is was the evidence of what was really wrong.

In this case, I think I'd push the dealer into stating why this is "the problem" and not something unrelated. They stated the computers aren't talking to each other. Yes, the loom is melted, but without any evidence of heat damage to the actual wire that may not be the actual reason. And, once the car is running again, I'd look for anything that might cause the cat to overheat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not the case at all - From the very start I spoke with insurance, and they pushed me to have GM check it out, which was done - and GM stated they found no manufacturer defects. Now, my insurance adjuster said what he saw was normal wear and tear (he did not look at the car for more than a couple minutes). I just got the invoice from the dealership and have sent that to insurance - it goes into great detail as to what they found and tested. It states they discovered fire damage to the TCM connector, cooler lines, etc.

You should have had your insurance adjuster visit the dealership where the car was being worked on as previously recommended then.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Dealer sent an estimate to my insurance stating there was fire damage and a breakdown of parts and labor. $6500 - and they said likely to go up once the car is running and they can check out the transmission. Sent this over to insurance today and am hoping to hear something in the next few days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
UPDATE: Finally the car was diagnosed. I had it brought to a private shop and they got the car running within an hour... The power steering harness melted, and they remade connections and the car started right up.

They said that was the root cause of the fire and all damages. Insurance will now cover the loss with the cause determined... Thank God...

41 - 60 of 64 Posts