Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

ECM reprogrammed per recall - now car won't start

37K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
2012 Cruze Automatic 1.4T - I've had the car myself for about 2 years. I had an issue with the car electronics acting funky and that was fixed with the negative battery cable recall. Car worked fine since that was done in November of 2015. The car was in the dealership for the ECM programming recall about 3-4 weeks ago, and now this past Sunday, the car freaked out on the highway. All the gauges died, all service lights came on, and the car lost power (step on the gas and you'd hit maybe 2500rpm). Pulled over and when I coasted down to about 5 MPH the car acted like it slammed into gear. I stopped, and shut it down, and ever since it fails to turn on. It doesn't attempt to crank. When you try to start it, the gauges do their self check and then all drop to 0 - the service stabilitrak, service traction control, service parking assist, etc all come on and flash. You hear a buzzing noise from the engine that sounds like the electronic break booster, but the car doesn't try to crank. Sometimes the radio comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can roll the windows, sometimes you can't. The dealer today said the code they pulled is saying no sensors or modules are communicating with the ECM, but they don't know why yet.

I don't know if this could be another negative cable issue, or if something with the ECM may have been damaged with the reprogram. Anyone else have issues after their recall and reprogram?

See less See more
#49 ·
That looks suspiciously like a short circuit caused fire.

#50 ·
It certainly doesn't look like what I think of as a fire. Heat yes, but I'm not seeing any combustion.

I'm seeing a melted wire loom, but I'm not yet seeing any damage to the wire itself. I'd start carefully clipping off that melted plastic loom and see what's underneath. See if you can determine if the heat came from the inside or the outside.

Reactions: obermd
#53 ·
I've noted the same thing as ChevyGuy regarding heat damage.

Specifically noted the burned cover for the turbo oil line.....this lives right behind the primary catalyst.

I suspect there is a engine problem and that cat was running red red red hot for quite awhile.......that cover is almost indestructable from heat......but your Cruze found a way.

Rob

#54 ·
It doesn't seem like we're getting the whole story. If your car had a fire you should have got your insurance involved if you have any. Now it sounds like you have partially disassembled and damaged vehicle in your possession and are trying to fix it yourself. Good luck with that.

#59 ·
Dealer sent an estimate to my insurance stating there was fire damage and a breakdown of parts and labor. $6500 - and they said likely to go up once the car is running and they can check out the transmission. Sent this over to insurance today and am hoping to hear something in the next few days.

#60 ·
UPDATE: Finally the car was diagnosed. I had it brought to a private shop and they got the car running within an hour... The power steering harness melted, and they remade connections and the car started right up.

They said that was the root cause of the fire and all damages. Insurance will now cover the loss with the cause determined... Thank God...

#61 ·
What cause the harness to go bad. Rub through etc etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.