Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Eco-D MSRP

5587 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  James
Anyone got a ballpark for how much the Eco-D will go for? I'm expecting (ha!) it should come in around the same as the Eco, maybe a bit more.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
Usually you tow in lower gear (i.e. not overdrive) and usually an automatic is better for towing than an stick, but I was thinking that it could be a transmission issue. Perhaps the Eco transmission can't handle the stresses of shifting with the extra load.
IMO, this is probably part of it (but I gather this is the same transmission with different ratios used on other cars for several years), but in the lightening of the body panel material thickness for the ECO to lose weight, they likely weakened the "extra" hitch-mounting structure back there enough that it's not strong enough to support the jarring of a trailer.

Mike

· Registered
370 Posts
IMO, this is probably part of it (but I gather this is the same transmission with different ratios used on other cars for several years), but in the lightening of the body panel material thickness for the ECO to lose weight, they likely weakened the "extra" hitch-mounting structure back there enough that it's not strong enough to support the jarring of a trailer.

Mike

Thin metal, eh? well, I hope there's extra corrosion protection on it....

· Premium Member
10 Posts
I drive a Big-Rig, these 15 liter motors in the trucks have from 1,700 to 1,900 ft lbs of torque and they can slow down 80,000 lbs but with JAKE brakes(a system that uses the compression of the engines to slow down).

But back on topic, what i'm saying is the higher amount of torque in the diesel motor will help you slow down and keep your speed. For example when my truck is about 37,000 i won't speed up much from 65 going down a grade without the JAKE brakes on (maybe 2 or 3 MPH gain). This is on a grade of about 6% for a mile or two (not applying brakes at all i'm just letting the torque of the motor help hold the speed)

The torque of an engine has a braking effect and i have driven a Cruze in the mountains, the stock torque did not have much effect on slowing down the car with 5 people and 5 packs full of hiking equipment. But from my experience in field with driving vehicles of high weights, i can safely say towing that camper in a Cruze Diesel should be much better at holding its speed in the mountains.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.