Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my Cruze did something I have never noticed before and haven't been able to duplicate. I am wondering if any other ECO owners (diesel, like mine, or gas) have experienced this:

After refueling the car, I turned my key on with the engine off. I did this so i could record and reset my trip mileage and fuel used counters. I left the key on and entered all of data into my Fuelly account and then scrolled to the 25 mile average ECO page before starting the car. I got to the ECO tab on the DIC and set my phone down, looked back up to start the car, and noticed my fuel mileage had dropped. When I first got to the page, my average was 50.2, after setting my phone down and looking back up it, it had dropped to 50.1 mpg. I watched it as I wondered if I had really saw the change, and it dropped to 50.0 mpg. I looked to confirm the engine was off and it dropped to 49.9 mpg. I sat and watch it drop down to 49.7(about 10 seconds), then freaked out and started it up and drove off before it went down further.
It happened so quick I didn't think to check and see if any of the other fuel counters were actively measuring fuel usage while the engine was off. I just wanted to get the car moving to keep the mileage from falling any further.
By the time I got to work I forgot all about it . When I got home I turned the key on with the engine off and monitored the average fuel mileage and didn't notice any changes. I am not sure if it was related to the fuel counters being reset or not. I have not been able to duplicate the issue(the fuel counters will not be reset until the next fill up).

I know it really doesn't affect the car in any way, just thought that if this was a common occurrence, it might be leading to some of the discrepancies between "DIC mileage" and "pump mileage"

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
my diesel gets better when you put the key back in it to check

shows 4.6l/100km when i turn it off (51.1us)

then i fuel up and turn the key to record it, itll show 4.5l/100km (52.2us)

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
I don't believe I have ever "noticed" this happening before with my 2012. What is going on: With the car in the "on" position, the The onboard computer is measuring distance traveled vs time the car is running which is typically what is happening with the key in the "on" position. The computer thinks the car is idling or stuck in traffic even tho the engine is not running. I believe happened with my 2011 Cruze but not noticed with my 2012.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Happens to me all the time, especially when my car sits for more than a few minutes. It's the result of the fuel sensor system resetting itself. My Montana did the same thing for the Distance to Empty estimates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts