Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Eco modifications

8K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 ·
As I mentioned in my intro thread, the Cruze Eco is on my short list for a new car. Since I am not 'married' to any car yet, I can be picky on features. Here are some of the mods I would be interested in doing to bring the Eco up to my personal standards. None of these are deal killers but will factor into my decision.

Upgrading stock front seats to heated leather seats

Remove rear seat (more room, less weight)

Additional power outlet in glove box

Parking sensors and/or rear view camera w/rear view mirror split screen

Viper remote start/security system

Pop trunk from inside cabin with car on (don't mind getting hands dirty on this one, did similar mod on smart car)

Heated side view mirrors (available on higher end Cruze)

Fog+High Beams at the same time (small mod, love it on my Jeeps though)

Auxiliary audio input (can't tell if this is standard or not)

I am sure I will think of other things I want to do once I test drive one. Anyone have ideas on the feasibility on some/all of these mods?

See less See more
#2 ·
Also had the thought of adding a larger gas tank, either the standard Cruze size or perhaps one even bigger. One of the reasons I love having a high MPG vehicle is because of the additional driving time between fill ups!

#3 ·
...nix on the gas tank, because the stock unit "fits" around the spare-tire well in the trunk and the Eco has no spare tire (wt. reduction)...instead there's a small area to hold the Chinese-made air-compressor.

#7 ·
FWIW--the spare tire is a $100 'option' on all Cruzes (stupid GM marketing!!!) but most dealerships go ahead and order it on cars they stock.

#9 ·
No one said the spare will not fit in the trunk properly. My non Eco LTZ model has the spare and the trunk looks the same as a Cruze without the spare. The spare is located under the trunk flooring. It also has the same size gas tank as a non spare tire car does so I do not think that makes a difference in the tank size.

#13 ·
I would like to know as well.

The only argument I've heard for the Eco having to be stuck with the smaller tank is that it's got the non z link suspension and therefore the fuel tank needs to be smaller. This makes no sense though as I believe the base LS model has the same suspension as the Eco and has the larger tank as well.

Does someone who KNOWS what they're talking about have the answer to this? Just to be clear, the question is; will the large 15 gallon tank from the regular Cruze fit in the Eco model?

Hint: the answer will have NOTHING to do with the spare tire... :rolleyes:

#14 ·
Fun fact that i just learned about two days ago, all the cruzes have the same size gas tank(15.6) but the shut off valve that causes the pump to click when your filling up is rated to stop at 12.6, this is just a way for GM to say it's "lighter" thus better fuel economy, if you continue to force the gas in click by click by click it will fill up to 15, now instead of the 400 miles per fill up I get 600! :)

#15 ·
I have a GM Cruze Spare tire stack in my ECO MT. Follow the link in my sig.

#17 ·
I wonder if this is semi true on other models as well. I have never put more than 13 gallons in the cruze ls even with fuel light on for 25 miles before fill up. I understand that the vent shuts it off sooner, just didnt know that it was that much sooner. I will have to test that on the next fill up to see if i can get up to 15 gal.

#20 ·
Buy an LT M6, you will be happier. It can be had with some of the stuff on your list, should be faster with better gearing and gets almost the same mileage now

#21 ·
For primarily city driving I agree. But if you spend most of your time on the open road the ECO MT still blows the socks off any other trim with regards to fuel economy. Even at 75 MPH I get slightly above the EPA estimate of 42 MPG. At 55 I get better than 50 MPG. I drop to the EPA estimate at 77 MPH.

#29 ·
Without trickling I'm consistently seeing 500+ mile tanks on my ECO MT. Since you're new here I'm guessing you don't have that many miles on your ECO yet. Here's the chart I posted in another thread showing the increasing MPG as my ECO MT broke in over the first 15,000 miles.

Text Line Plot Diagram Slope

#28 ·
Around town that extra weight will make a bit of a difference, but out on the highway it won't. In my Eco I see 44-47mpg on the interstate with the cruise set at 80mph (if the wind isn't blowing), and right about 48-50mpg at 65mph.

Really it depends on what kind of driving the OP primarily does, and whether they are concerned about 2-8mpg difference HWY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.