Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Was just point out your post. I know all about HP and TQ.
It doesn't sound like you do with your "all the torque its going to get at 1850 rpm" comment, it sounds like you're saying that hitting peak torque is all that matters. I have a air powered impact gun that can produce 400 lb ft of torque but it can't rev high enough create enough hp to accelerate a car...

Torque X RPM ÷ 5252 = Horsepower

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the 1.8 with MT and mine is a dog off the line also. It does not seem to have much power below a certain RPM range(1500 PRMs) I have driven a stick for many years and always push the clutch in before stopping. I noticed that the engine stalls when I do this and wait to long. It does not want to come back after @600 RPMs and just stalls. My previous cars also had a 2.2 or a V6 maybe that is what is causing the stalling issues. Anyone else experience this? I was considering the dealer for the doggy ness of the line tho. Im sure they will say it is OK tho since they cannot put a code on it.
You leave the clutch in and dog it to 40% lower than idle speed, coming to a stop, and expect it to recover every time?

The doggyness right off the line is the electronically "averaged" throttle... Most modern (non-SS / SRT / SVT) vehicles do that...

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed that the engine stalls when I do this and wait to long. It does not want to come back after @600 RPMs and just stalls.
If you keep downshifting as you slow to keep the engine ABOVE idle speed as you slow, you will get better fuel economy, as the engine will cut the fuel off instead of using gas to idle the engine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you keep downshifting as you slow to keep the engine ABOVE idle speed as you slow, you will get better fuel economy, as the engine will cut the fuel off instead of using gas to idle the engine.
Exactly... I can feel the 1.4 turn the fuel back on at around 1500rpm, so I try and keep it above that, if I'm decelerating...

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
It doesn't sound like you do with your "all the torque its going to get at 1850 rpm" comment, it sounds like you're saying that hitting peak torque is all that matters. I have a air powered impact gun that can produce 400 lb ft of torque but it can't rev high enough create enough hp to accelerate a car...

Torque X RPM ÷ 5252 = Horsepower
I even quoted you and you do not get it :facepalm:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Eco Fuel Milage

I bought my Eco with the understanding 28/38 mpg, also saw the TV ads with 42 mpg. I got 34 mpg when I first got it, no matter where I drove it, around town and on three trips. I now have 6000 miles on it and the mpg is consistantly 28 mpg.?? Also the tranny shifting is about to drive me batty.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I even quoted you and you do not get it :facepalm:
You're right, i don't get it so why don't you explain it. You quoted and highlighted me saying its not a big block making gobs of low end power, which is true. Unless you're implying that just because the 1.4 makes peak torque at 1850 rpm its somehow comparable to a big block's low end power lol! There is quite a big difference between the usable power band of our 1.4 and a big block V8.

Please enlighten me since you know "ALL about hp and tq".

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought my Eco with the understanding 28/38 mpg, also saw the TV ads with 42 mpg. I got 34 mpg when I first got it, no matter where I drove it, around town and on three trips. I now have 6000 miles on it and the mpg is consistantly 28 mpg.?? Also the tranny shifting is about to drive me batty.
The 42 is for the manual ECO... Sounds like you've got the automatic, that I think is rated at 37 highway...

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
My ECO 6 speed is much, much, much better with the A/C off. Have you guys tried this. I've been sweating the heat this week and driving with the windows down. I think the 1.4 engine has enough horsepower at lower rpms to move itself and run the air.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think GM needs to release an update to give the engine more fuel and more timing with the air on.
Um... they do still have to pass emissions with the A/C on... If you set it up to do what you describe, and still pass emissions, you'd be running around muted the rest of the time, for the sake of giving it "more" to make it feel the same with the A/C on...

Short answer: No.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're right, i don't get it so why don't you explain it. You quoted and highlighted me saying its not a big block making gobs of low end power, which is true. Unless you're implying that just because the 1.4 makes peak torque at 1850 rpm its somehow comparable to a big block's low end power lol! There is quite a big difference between the usable power band of our 1.4 and a big block V8.

Please enlighten me since you know "ALL about hp and tq".
Ok My list of cars consist of a

1999 Vette - new
2000 Dakota RT - new and heavily modified
2004 GTO - new and heavily modified
2006 Trailblazer SS - new
2007 Mustang GT - new
2008 Mustang GT - new

So I know about V8 and power. I have over 1000 1/4 mile passes. And if you get your head out of your butt you would see I was agreeing with you that the car has no darn power! It is an ECO car not a race car.

darn ricers.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I suppose you don't have to believe me, but I'm not sure what part isn't believable. The 44.1mpg or that the guy was pissed? I guess, your right, I can't confirm that he was pissed, I may have made an assumption based on the look on his face.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to you saying you walked a mid14 second car, not your mpg's or the other guys emotions...

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.