Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that Eco automatics come with the Z-link rear suspension. Manual versions do not. I thought that it should have been the other way since those driving sticks would be the one to test the suspension limits of this car.

Anyway, for those driving manuals, is the non Z-linked Eco good enough for your driving needs, daily and when pressed hard?

Also, would you be able to attach an after-market Z-link to an Eco manual?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I just turned 1k in my eco manual and i have to say that it takes corners just fine. I haven't tried pushing it to the limits but around corners it responds fine.

I have a favorite back road that has some steep curves i'll give it a test run and let you know how it does.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...typically, a "true" economy-minded driver wouldn't even think about "throwing" his/her car around a corner...that's simply NOT part of a hypermilers mindset!

...throwing a car around a corner "wastes" energy and requires even more energy pulling itself out of the cornering; rather, an eco driver would "coast" up to the corner, downshift at the last moment, then smoothly accelerate backup to speed with as little brake & throttle action as possible (wink,wink).

...the idea is to "...conserve momentum..." so, both brakes and accelerator are seldom used.

...the idea is "...keep it rolling..." because: MPG = MILES / GALS, so coasting allows you to accumulate MILES while using minimal GALS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be careful though. I mean the Eco's rear suspension sans Z-link is still a torsion beam system, which has proven well with past VW Golf's and GTI's. I was just wondering what the Z-link improves on it.

I just turned 1k in my eco manual and i have to say that it takes corners just fine. I haven't tried pushing it to the limits but around corners it responds fine.

I have a favorite back road that has some steep curves i'll give it a test run and let you know how it does.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a 98 Neon ACR before my cruze that came stock with koni adjustable shocks and cornered like it was on rails (for a sub $30k car). I don't really drive that spirited anymore so I don't really miss it. I'm thinking of doing a srt-4 motor swap on the neon for the times I feel like flogging a car. I have never driven any cruze but my m/t eco so I don't really know what I am missing with the z-link.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...the "Z-link" is also called the "Watts link" (yep, same guy who invented the steam engine) and is basically an improvement over the older, single-arm, Panhard link.

...what WIKI has to say about it: Watt's linkage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...notice the picture at the bottom showing the Z-link on the Ford back in 1998 and the Aussies have been using the Z-link in their Super Car racing series since 1997, so it's NOT a new idea or design!

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Even without the z-link the Eco manual probably has better handling and performance in every category for that matter than the other Cruze models.

It's most likely that all of the z-link mounting points exist on the Eco, so if someone wanted they could just bolt it on.

The only way to really find out how beneficial the z-link is to test two stock Eco's, but one with the z-link installed. Some skid pad, slalom and driver feedback might be the only real answers to this...

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I just mentioned this in the other thread but i'll repeat myself because im senile

I have taken the cruze out now thats its broken in and given it a good workout on some corners, on ramps, curvy roads etc and I would say that the handling is very strong and while i havent done the same driving with a zlink equipped car, I can tell you as a car guy thats driven everything from acuras to trans ams its a solid performer.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Shoot i think my Eco handled amazing compared to the 5.3L 4x4 extended cab Silverado 1500 that WAS my daily driver.. And it WAY out handles my 95 S10 (which is a beater)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Z-links/Watts links are used in many applications. The most popular being Nascar and road racing but has taken off a lot recently in the lowered truck world which is where I do most of my work. Unless you are doing road course racing, you won't notice to much of a difference between the two.

Here is an example of a custom application.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.