·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Taking the dash apart was easy using a Trim removal kit that I bought from Pep Boys.
Use a Ratchet extension with a 7mm to undo the bolt screws.

Installed the PAC

I also hooked up the RCA cables to the PAC and then ran them back to the trunk. It was fairly easy tucking them under the door panels.

More to come....

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Here are some pics of Andrei Terry and I installing more components and even Dave helped out lol.

Andrei installing baffles
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Baffles installed
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Family car

Passenger Door Apart
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Our Worksite for the first couple of hours
Sky Cloud Morning Mode of transport Road

Terry Installing CLD Tiles on Door
Vehicle door Vehicle Car Mid-size car Luxury vehicle

Terry Installing CLD Tiles in Trunk
Car Vehicle Mid-size car Sky Luxury vehicle

Terry installing tiles in trunk part two
Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car Automotive tire

Trunk Picture
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Trunk Picture
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Lol, was Andrei just chillin in his trunk taking a nap?

Nice build btw, I cant wait to finally do mine.

Reactions: tecollins1

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Lol, was Andrei just chillin in his trunk taking a nap?

Nice build btw, I cant wait to finally do mine.
Not resting re installing his sub after we fixed it and we i mean Andrei Terry and I

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Wait he popped a terminal coil? How? LOL

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Wait he popped a terminal coil? How? LOL
Yeah dude. The actual metal terminal soldered to the end of the tinsel leads tore straight off so I had to disassemble the sub (the motor can be unbolted from the cone/basket) and solder it back together with a strip of wire. I didn't know the xlim for this sub is longer than the length of the tinsel lead lol. My own fault for not having a high pass filter on when we played some synthetic bass with a really hard sub-30hz note.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah dude. The actual metal terminal soldered to the end of the tinsel leads tore straight off so I had to disassemble the sub (the motor can be unbolted from the cone/basket) and solder it back together with a strip of wire. I didn't know the xlim for this sub is longer than the length of the tinsel lead lol. My own fault for not having a high pass filter on when we played some synthetic bass with a really hard sub-30hz note.

This is the song you requested to analyze. It's the one that made the loud pop and we realize something was wrong.
Blackmill - Oh Miah (Full Version) - YouTube [download link in the video description]

right after 1:26 was when we had to shut it down, and inspect the damage lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is the song you requested to analyze. It's the one that made the loud pop and we realize something was wrong.
Blackmill - Oh Miah (Full Version) - YouTube [download link in the video description]

right after 1:26 was when we had to shut it down, and inspect the damage lol.

Good lord this song hits. Picked up the album and copying it to my flash drive. :D

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
I love them, but i was going to wait until XR completes the enclosure and i put it in to do a complete review.
I have gone as high as 36 on the mylink volume with no distortion. the stock speakers could not go above 24 and sound good.
Keep in mind, you also raised your max volume. In other words, due to the way you have the gain set on the amplifier, these speakers are louder at a given level than the factory ones were. These really are some pretty impressive drivers and well worth the money spent. That little Massive Audio digital SQ amp also provides them with quite a bit of power.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wrapped my Crossovers in Foil, Buzzing and hissing gone.

Also, Subwoofer has been sitting in that corner, getting broken in. You can "feel it" if you sit in the left side back seat, but you can't really hear it.
And in the last pic, the custom makeshift jerry rigged "Distribution Block" lol
Almost bought one at Summit Racing that was $34 dollars but a light bulb popped up in Andrei's head and we went to Home Depot to gather cheap parts to make our own.
Total cost of the custom Distribution-Block was less than $10. A small plastic storage cylinder with rubber caps on the end, a Bolt, a nut, and a washer.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car Hatchback Loudspeaker Subwoofer Audio equipment Vehicle audio Computer speaker Wire Technology Electronic device Audio equipment Cable

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you really want to test your subs get the soundcloud app for your phone and look up Dum Dum by Baauer. You can probably find it on iTunes or out on the intarwebs in a high quality mp3 as well.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I just fried my PAC AA-GM44 with foil.

I opened up the dash, adjusted the PAC gains all the way down to 0 (Shuts off sound completely) then I brought them up to where I could hear something (about 10%).
Then I set the Massive Audio NX2 4ch Amplifier Gain to 0, set it to Pass Through mode (all frequencies), so I could see when the radio begins to clip (w/ SMD DD-1), which was volume 27 at 40hz.
Then I raised the Amp gain until it clipped, brought back a tiny bit until the distortion light went off on the SMD DD-1 and it was all set up .

I wrapped the PAC in Aluminum Foil which I had not done previously, put everything back together, shut the car off and as I was walking away I noticed my amps where still on.
I took apart the whole dash again and wiggled the remote wire on the PAC, the amps shut off and now They will not turn on anymore. I am pissed.

The Light on the PAC doesn't come on. It's dead. The fuse on the main power cable near the car battery is still intact so it's not that.
I will not have any music or radio in my car until I spend another thirty something dollars on a new, cheap POS!

/rant

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
I'm having issues with my pac as well. I'm ready to install a real radio, this thing in the cruze is crap!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You and EcoDave are two of 3 total people that I know of that had issues. I've installed 3 systems successfully with this unit and many others have as well. Maybe there's a bad batch that went out recently? I have no idea, but it sounds like something else is going on.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts