Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Eddie's 2014 Cruze slow build

20K views 90 replies 9 participants last post by  Blasirl 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought this car about a month ago with 48k miles. 2014 2LT 1.4T...leather, no back up cam or sensors...thought it was odd for a 2LT.

PO had the windows and markers tinted, plastidip'd the front cross bar thing on the grille and put in a amp/sub. First mod was Weathertechs, got a sweet deal on ebay for a mint set. Next up was an AEM intake and a tune. I come from the truck world where my built motor is tuned by Black Bear Performance, so I asked Justin to handle the tuning on the Cruze as well. His tune woke up the lil 1.4 and it actually spins the tires now.

So with that out of the way, I looked into a trunk release button and picked up this lil guy

Just waiting on my 2 shot relay to come in and it will be installed.

Since this thing didn't come with a backup cam, I found a kit on Amazon by Rosen/EchoMaster FC-GMLN

Its no longer made but Im hoping it works....will go in as soon as the relay shows up.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Looks good so far. I looked at adding that trunk switch, but I wanted the airbag indicator as well. I found it, but it was first out of stock, then they stopped making it. So I made my own. I added a separate relay for the trunk switch under the dash.

Does the backup cam kit reprogram the MyLink unit?

#4 ·
The trunk switch? It doesn't reprogram, you tap into the same wires as if you were making your own. I personally see no disadvantage of not having the airbag indicator, my wife sits in the back with our daughter and since its just an indicator, I saw no real need for it.

The backup cam kit doesn't reprogram MyLink either, it just interrupts the screen when the camera is activated and displays the camera feed.

#5 ·
That's Nice Eddy!

#6 ·
So with that out of the way, I looked into a trunk release button and picked up this lil guy

Interesting. My old '15 Cruze eco had the trunk button on the left, where that unlock/lock switch is. I'm guessing that is for central locking? I'm pretty sure my switch was on the door by the window switches. I didn't know they made that many changes between '14 and '15 model years.

#15 ·
got the FC-GMLN wired to try it out and it works! The backup lines even turn as I turn the steering wheel. I cant use the camera included in the kit, but that's ok because I had ordered this one.

Kit is pretty much plug and play other than power/ground/obd2 port pin 1 tapping. Pics to come

#17 · (Edited)
Installed my Rosen/Echomaster backup cam and it works perfectly. I had originally bought a cam that replaces a license plate light but I liked the image on the Echomaster camera that I decided to use that instead.

Ebay lic plate cam

Echomaster

The Echo has selectable parking lines which the Rosen box already provides, another reason I went with that cam....couldn't turn them off on the ebay cam.

Cam installed on the trunk trim piece

Drilled a hole to run my wires across

Drilled through the trunk and added a grommet

Hook ups couldn't be easier...power, ground, Pin1 on obd2 port. Used fuse #2 inside the cab

Testing before tucking it all away. The Rosen box plugs in between the MyLink screen and the oem video cable. This way it kills the oem feed when in R.

Turning wheel

Centered

#18 · (Edited)
Previous owner had stated that the driver heated seat didn't work. When I'd press the button, it would flash and then turn off. I ordered a new element and went to try it out before having my upholstery shop install it. Turns out that the element was just unplugged. Plugged in the new one and it warmed up FAST...unplugged it and plugged in the original and the seat was warm within seconds. Oh well, guess I have a spare element now.

Next up are fog lamps...already have the oem fog light switch installed and the dash does indicate when I turn them on.

#19 ·
From Sandy Blogs:

[h=2]Inoperative Heated Seats[/h]
January 9, 2015
The driver and front passenger heated seats (RPO KA1) may be inoperative on some 2010-2013 Lacrosse; 2010-2015 Camaro, Equinox, Terrain; 2011-2015 Regal, Cruze, Volt; 2012-2015 Verano, Sonic; and 2013-2015 Malibu models. DTC U0209 (Lost Communication with Front Seat Heating Control Module) may be set in the HVAC module.

The inoperative heated seats condition may be due to an intermittent software issue within the heated seat module that results in loss of communication from the HVAC module.

TIP: Do not replace the heated seat module for this condition.

If both heated seats are inoperative and DTC U0209 is set in the HVAC module, remove the appropriate fuse for the K29 Seat Heating Control Module and reinstall. This will reset the K29 Seat Heating Control Module.

Next, reprogram the K29 Seat Heating Control Module using the latest calibration in TIS2Web, available December 8, 2014.

If both heated seats are inoperative but DTC U0209 is not present, follow the normal heated seat inoperative diagnostics in the appropriate Service Information.

– Thanks to Christopher Crumb

And from the owners manual:

Remote Start Heated Seats
When it is cold outside, the heated
seats can be turned on
automatically during a remote
vehicle start. The heated seats will
be canceled when the ignition is
turned on. Press the control to use
the heated seats after the vehicle is
started.
The heated seat indicator lights on
the control do not turn on during a
remote start.
The temperature performance of an
unoccupied seat may be reduced.
This is normal.
The heated seats will not turn on
during a remote start unless the
heated seat feature is enabled in
the vehicle personalization menu.
See Remote Vehicle Start on
page 2-10 and Vehicle
Personalization on page 5-35.

Vehicle Personalization
The audio system controls are used
to access the personalization
menus for customizing vehicle
features.
CONFIG (Configuration): Press to
access the Configuration
Settings menu.
MENU/SEL: Press the center of
this knob to enter the menus and
select menu items. Turn the knob to
scroll through the menus.
BACK: Press to exit or move
backward in a menu.
Entering the Personalization
Menus
1. Press CONFIG to access the
Configuration Settings menu.
2. Turn the MENU/SEL knob to
highlight Vehicle Settings. Press
the CONFIG button until Vehicle
is highlighted on vehicles with a
navigation system only.

Remote Start Auto Heat Seats
On vehicles with remote start and
heated seats, the heated seats can
be set to on or off.
Press the MENU/SEL knob when
Remote Start Auto Heat Seats is
highlighted to open the menu. Turn
the knob to highlight On or Off.
Press the BACK button to confirm
the selection and move back to the
last menu.

#22 ·
Just paid for a BNR boost accumulator, LS7 coils, bigger injectors and BNR handheld. Once it all gets here, I'll contact Jerry and have him tune it. Plan is to eventually make this E85 capable. With gas prices going up 12 cents per gallon in California, I'm hoping I can take advantage of cheaper fuel.

#25 ·
scored a like new BNR boost accumulator, used BNR handheld, used BNR LS7 coil kit, used AEM wide band..autometer boost gauge and a trans temp sensor, flow matched 10cc+ injectors (Were used on e85). Looks like I'm going with BNR tuning now and more than likely will get the missing pieces to run e85. 2.09/gal for e85 vs 3.50/gal for 91. Paid less than what the coil kit costs new for all of this stuff, awesome deal.

#32 ·
installed rear sway bar, moog front sway bar links, zzp catless mid pipe and a shark fin antenna from bnr. Been averaging 2-3mpg less on e85 vs 91. That's about 10% drop but e85 has been 2.19 and 3.89 for 91. Also added camber bolts up front and a toe shim to the RR as it was in the yellow. Camber was still in the green but borderline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.