Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Glad you have the loaner at least ... the 2019 Malibu I had for five weeks did the job and was better than most rentals I've had. GM loaners must really take a beating since this seems to be a widespread customer experience. Funnily I bought an old Peugeot a couple months ago with some fear and caveats parts might be hard to find in the US, but I'll probably have it fixed faster than GM can fix its own cars it sold last year.
they get sold as new cars, lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
they get sold as new cars, lol
Chrysler did that in the 1980s with some corporate cars. They'd disconnect the odometer, let executives drive them for some time, and then sold them as new. Got in huge trouble for it.

My parents picked up a 2014 Hyundai Sonata with 4,800 miles on it. It had been used as a dealership shuttle in one way or another, but was otherwise new. It had not been titled. They bought it for about $14,000 and it came with a new warranty good through 104,800 miles, though that warranty is now extended to something like 124,800 thanks to the huge engine recall and warranty program.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Chrysler did that in the 1980s with some corporate cars. They'd disconnect the odometer, let executives drive them for some time, and then sold them as new. Got in huge trouble for it.

My parents picked up a 2014 Hyundai Sonata with 4,800 miles on it. It had been used as a dealership shuttle in one way or another, but was otherwise new. It had not been titled. They bought it for about $14,000 and it came with a new warranty good through 104,800 miles, though that warranty is now extended to something like 124,800 thanks to the huge engine recall and warranty program.
yeah no need to worry aboot odo,not sold is new regardless of condition/miles

and my condolences to those executives

·
Registered
648 Posts
Now that the GM strike is settled I'm going to go to the dealership today and ask if they have an ETA on the part being delivered. They have such a backlog of warranty and other work that my chances of getting this repair done before the end of the year might be pretty low.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now that the GM strike is settled I'm going to go to the dealership today and ask if they have an ETA on the part being delivered. They have such a backlog of warranty and other work that my chances of getting this repair done before the end of the year might be pretty low.
Good luck ... I hope this brings some improvement to parts availability. I'm very concerned about how my car will do over the winter with its regen problem still unresolved and having lost a turbo last winter ... don't really want to spend another several weeks in a Malibu or whatever else they give me.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yep. Still no estimate for when it will be in, now with 2 cars needing the part (one a seal, the other the EGR cooler). Now the THIRD car has a MIL light.. have not read the codes on it yet, but would not surprise me to see this same fault come up! At least my wife has decided she likes driving the loaner Malibu, except the hit on MPG, it's otherwise a pretty nice car.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Confirmed.. 3 for 3! ALL THREE of my Gen 2 Diesels now have had this error code and this is apparently why it is a national back order item! The good news is that the cars seem to drive perfectly fine despite this error code, and there is no rush to service (in fact be sure your dealer has ALL the parts and SEALS before they even try to start, or you'll have a car stuck on the dealers service lot for a long time like my 2017 which is waiting on a seal to fix a leak from the replaced EGR cooler (note, GM calls it a "housing" which is a bit odd, because it clearly has the coolant lines to it for the EGR gases to flow through.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Three cars waiting on the same months long back ordered parts and labor would drive me nuts. I know you said they all drive fine with the check engine light on, but do you have to worry about any emissions issues in your area? Here I wouldn't be able to renew my tags until they get the MIL cleared out. I bet there are some angry people out there some where with expired tags waiting on parts. heh..

Were there any indicators to watch for before the light came on? My tags expire in February and with my luck that's when the light will come on. lol

Chad

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Three cars waiting on the same months long back ordered parts and labor would drive me nuts. I know you said they all drive fine with the check engine light on, but do you have to worry about any emissions issues in your area? Here I wouldn't be able to renew my tags until they get the MIL cleared out. I bet there are some angry people out there some where with expired tags waiting on parts. heh..

Were there any indicators to watch for before the light came on? My tags expire in February and with my luck that's when the light will come on. lol

Chad
Well actually the light is out on all three (even the one that is stuck in service, it had gone out on it's own while waiting for the part). The newest car it cleared on it's own pretty quickly.

Fortunately they don't do emissions inspections here.. yet. Would not be surprised if our big intrusive government loving leaders don't try it at some point.

It's a bit frustrating, and ironically if I didn't have them repair the first car then they had a leak and are now waiting for the new seal to fix a leak that came from their repair attempt. They are saying the parts are delay d due to the strike. At some point out that is not going to make much sense.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Well, still no end in sight on the first car, the are literally waiting for a couple of seals, about $30 worth of parts. By law any repair that takes over one month makes the car a lemon. It seems it's time to call GM and inform them they need to figure out how to get those $30 seals to the dealership, or prepare to buyback a low miles car.... It's ridiculous that they can't find a way to get $30 worth of one O-ring, and a Gasket. Meanwhile, still waiting parts for the second car, but the light is out, and there is no way I let them touch it until they are 100% certain that they have ALL the parts. The third light went out, they can read at next oil change and begin ordering parts. I noted that parked right next to my car stuck at the dealership is another Diesel Cruze that is nearly identical to my manual Cruze, how ironic. This appears to be a significant issue affecting the 1.6l Diesel.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, still no end in sight on the first car, the are literally waiting for a couple of seals, about $30 worth of parts. By law any repair that takes over one month makes the car a lemon. It seems it's time to call GM and inform them they need to figure out how to get those $30 seals to the dealership, or prepare to buyback a low miles car.... It's ridiculous that they can't find a way to get $30 worth of one O-ring, and a Gasket. Meanwhile, still waiting parts for the second car, but the light is out, and there is no way I let them touch it until they are 100% certain that they have ALL the parts. The third light went out, they can read at next oil change and begin ordering parts. I noted that parked right next to my car stuck at the dealership is another Diesel Cruze that is nearly identical to my manual Cruze, how ironic. This appears to be a significant issue affected the 1.6l Diesel.
I can't say that this is a major problem for these engines. I had a couple EGR codes and it's the dealership and GM technical saying the entire cooler assembly must be replaced, but the car is running just fine. The codes haven't returned for the months I've been waiting for the cooler assembly to arrive. I'll ask the technician when they do make the replacement if the new cooler assembly is somehow different (part numbers changed?) because I'd like to know if GM has made some sort of updated part to fix a problem.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I can't say that this is a major problem for these engines. I had a couple EGR codes and it's the dealership and GM technical saying the entire cooler assembly must be replaced, but the car is running just fine. The codes haven't returned for the months I've been waiting for the cooler assembly to arrive. I'll ask the technician when they do make the replacement if the new cooler assembly is somehow different (part numbers changed?) because I'd like to know if GM has made some sort of updated part to fix a problem.
Agree it doesn't seem to cause any issue with the running, or efficiency of the engine. I too will be asking about the part numbers. I'd bet there was some design flaw that is involved. There appears to have been one with the clutch hydraulics as well. It's not uncommon. When I say significant issue, it's more a logistical issue for GM and hassle to have fixed, but you are correct it's not an issue with the engine running or reliability, it seems, and I have 3 cars that have had the code, and no running or efficiency issues on any of them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
By law any repair that takes over one month makes the car a lemon.
From what I've seen that only applies to the first year and 12k miles of ownership, but that probably varies by state. Typically it needs to be a recurring thing as well

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
From what I've seen that only applies to the first year and 12k miles of ownership, but that probably varies by state. Typically it needs to be a recurring thing as well
State Lemon Laws vary, but most say during the warranty period (part of the reason OEMs hesitate to offer long warranty periods on cars), and 4 attempts, not fixed, or 30 days and not fixed, is the most common criteria.

Even if the State law is less helpful, you can find a lawyer to make it a Federal Lemon Law case, I did this back in 2009 and had GM buy back a GMC Truck that had an seemingly unfixable oil leak. As soon as a lawyer wrote a letter to GM, the paid up, and paid the lawyer's fees. They won't offer a buyback until a lawyer gets involved, but when one does they seem to do it promptly to minimize lawyers fees.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
And... I'm in WA state.. here the criteria to qualify as a lemon is: 1. Diagnosis or repair of the same “serious safety defect” has been attempted two* or more times (with at least one during the “eligibility period”) and the defect continues to exist; OR 2. Diagnosis or repair of the same “nonconformity” has been attempted four* or more times (with at least one during the “eligibility period”) and the defect continues to exist; OR 3. A vehicle has been out-of-service for diagnosis or repair of one or more nonconformities or serious safety defects (whether or not repaired) for a cumulative total of 30* calendar days, with at least one ‘attempt’ for each defect and 15* of those days occurring during the “eligibility period.” OR 4. Within a twelve-month period, two or more different serious safety defects, each of which have been subject to diagnosis or repair one or more times, where at least one attempt for each serious safety defect occurs during the period of coverage of the applicable manufacturer’s written warranty and within the eligibility period.

Since my car was purchased in early 2018 (prior year model 2017), and it has about 17K miles, the entire time in the shop is under the first 2 year 24k miles criteria, and thus qualifies. If I wanted to make a case, GM would be forced to buy my car back. However, as of now I'm just wanting it back, the problem is not as much with the car, as it is with their logistics. The fix is a simple coolant leak from the repair attempt, before the work the car was working perfectly fine, and even the MIL that had been on for about 1000 miles, had cleared on its own.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That applies to it not getting fixed properly though. I'd imagine there's a caveat for parts not being available that makes the lemon law not apply

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That applies to it not getting fixed properly though. I'd imagine there's a caveat for parts not being available that makes the lemon law not apply
Actually, no there is no out for GM for their apparent inability to get parts. That is and should be covered. If they can properly set up a supply chain of parts for cars they make, that qualifies as a lemon. The specific purpose of the lemon law is to protect the consumer from buying an expensive new car that they are unable to use due to a manufacture defect, in this case the defect is their supply chain, end result remains I have a car that can not be driven. Their is not good excuse for why GM can't figure out how to get an O-ring and Gasket to get the car fixed, no good excuse for almost 2 months for those simple parts.

From the above: "3. A vehicle has been out-of-service for diagnosis or repair of one or more nonconformities or serious safety defects (whether or not repaired) for a cumulative total of 30* calendar days, with at least one ‘attempt’ for each defect and 15* of those days occurring during the “eligibility period.”

There is no "out" due to their incompetence with their parts supply chain. Note, that even if they actually do eventually REPAIR the car, I can STILL make a claim, though I have no intention to do so. The criteria is days out of service, there is no exception for inability to get parts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
UPDATE: And just like that, yesterday I call GM and open the case on this delay and point out the car meets the legal definition of a lemon, and that I want it fixed right away.. and today, less than 24 hours later it is FIXED, and ready for pick up.

It's about time! Ironic that it was literally the next day after the call, and it's done. Perhaps I should have called sooner!

·
Registered
648 Posts
My local dealership texted me to say the EGR cooler assembly has arrived. I've got to set up an appointment to get the car to them for 4-5 hours and we'll see what happens. I'm going to be asking the service department guy if this new part has any changes (updated part numbers) to see if there are differences from the stock EGR cooler.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts