Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 14 CTD with 69k on it. I see it is hard these days to find a delete kit. Was hoping to see if it was just possible to delete the EGR? I appreciate the input.

Nick

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking to buy a 14 CTD with 69k on it. I see it is hard these days to find a delete kit. Was hoping to see if it was just possible to delete the EGR? I appreciate the input.

Nick
I don't think it would be a challenge to do it, just remove the cooler and install some blocking plates would do the trick. However getting a tune to support the delete will be difficult.

You're probably gonna have to find someone who does custom stuff locally. Unfortunately, there is an EPA enforcement currently underway and fines are being levied to people who do this kind of thing. I see you also are a new user who just joined, so there will be some suspicion that you may be an agent looking to advance his career by finding evildoers who remove emissions devices.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understandably so. I'm a Marine Engineer and work on big diesels. I've just discovered these cars and want the best for my new one. Have seen a egr delete kit for $90. I appreciate your fast reply.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Cleaning the EGR and throttle valves aren't too difficult - cleaning out the intake, I imagine, would be significantly harder, since it has valves in the runners.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Then is there a DIY to cleaning all the soot that will accumulate in my intake?
Never cleaned a Cruze diesel intake. In my experience with VW diesels, most of the soot is in the initial location where EGR is introduced. That should be where most of it needs to be cleaned.

I've heard of people hot tanking the manifold at a machine shop after removing most of the caked on stuff and also using a MAP torch to burn off the accumulated soot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont believe I have any issues, just preparing myself for the future. Also, what are most people using for oil? I see the Dexos2. But not seeing what people are recommending.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dont believe I have any issues, just preparing myself for the future. Also, what are most people using for oil? I see the Dexos2. But not seeing what people are recommending.
I use CJ-4 oil in my Cruze. Actually in both of my GM diesels that spec Dexos 2. Either 10w30, 10w40, or 5w40 Full synthetic CJ-4 for me. CJ-4 or CK-4 oils will protect the engine better and have superior soot handling and detergent qualities than Dexos 2.

I think the best Dexos 2 oil on the market right now is the Ravenol REP 5w30. If I was gonna stick with the specification I'd probably use that stuff. I think most people on here just use what the dealer puts in or is available at Walmart.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good on the CJ-4. I am a big Rotella T6 fan. I used it in my 1.8T Jetta. I am happy to hear that it specs out to Dexos2

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's good on the CJ-4. I am a big Rotella T6 fan. I used it in my 1.8T Jetta. I am happy to hear that it specs out to Dexos2
CJ-4 or CK-4 DOES NOT spec out to Dexos 2. Dexos 2 is a C3 type diesel oil. Bold and CAPS for emphasis. I think you need to read my last post again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perfect. I misread what you wrote. Is there more information on this somewhere? How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Perfect. I misread what you wrote. Is there more information on this somewhere? How many miles do you have?
I have 55K on my 2014 Cruze.

I'm not sure what information you mean. CJ-4 and CK-4 are heavy duty engine oils made for light, moderate and heavy duty engines with modern emissions systems. These oils are thicker and have higher anti-wear and detergency additive levels than Dexos 2 oils.

Dexos 2 and C3 type oils are lower viscosity and focus on emissions system longevity instead of engine protection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to see if Rotella t6 is an acceptable oil. If not, I'll use a Mobil 1 product. Not sure if this has been gone over

·
Registered
179 Posts
If your still looking to buy a 14 diesel, there is one already deleted, posted in the classifies section of this forum. The title is "2014 Cruze Diesel 53k miles for sale" Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You have to use the Dexos 2 oil. If you do not the other oils have too much ash in them and will kill your sensors. Just go to wallmart they carry dexos 2 in 5 quart containers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You have to use the Dexos 2 oil. If you do not the other oils have too much ash in them and will kill your sensors. Just go to wallmart they carry dexos 2 in 5 quart containers.
Yup, restocked this weekend at Wally World. Three $22. 5qt containers on the shelf, 3 5qt containers now in my garage. 3 $11 oil filters enroute to my mailbox. Then off to the dealer on Saturday for the oil change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts