Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
View attachment 271525 For my education, what is the issue (system function, failures, resulting impact) with the EGR circuit in the GEN2 Diesel.
From this diagram, my #1 question would be: Why don't diesel engine designers withdraw exhaust gas AFTER it has passed through the DPF and feed it into the air intake prior to the compressor? It seems that most diesel engines would benefit from being fed exhaust gas that has been filtered rather than the dirty, soot-laden exhaust that is put into the intake.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
From this diagram, my #1 question would be: Why don't diesel engine designers withdraw exhaust gas AFTER it has passed through the DPF and feed it into the air intake prior to the compressor? It seems that most diesel engines would benefit from being fed exhaust gas that has been filtered rather than the dirty, soot-laden exhaust that is put into the intake.
the dpf would fill up faster, requiring more regens, shortening the life of the filter

the exhaust gas into the egr is supposed to reduce nox, because of the cooler temps....now try to cool the exhaust gas post dpf during a regen...good luck.

·
Registered
447 Posts
now try to cool the exhaust gas post dpf during a regen...good luck.
I'm no expert but I think EGR is turned off during regen. The EPA allows disabling of exhaust treatment systems during certain periods of operation of engines (such as if engine damage would occur, if engine operation is a certain condition is a very small part of the time the engine is operating, etc.). I think DPF regen is a cycle where EGR is turned off so temperatures can be boosted to burn off the soot load in the filter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I apologize about not being verbose enough - my rephrased question is - What is it about the Chevrolet GEN2 Diesel's EGR system that causes it to fail or cause other issues? Could an improvement (perhaps from another Diesel system made by another manufacturer) improve upon Chevrolet's design to prevent or prolong the EGR issue?
And the answer sir is that there are no issues with the Gen2 Diesel worthy of performing any modifications (delete). Nor are there in the Gen1 now that the bugs are worked out of it. Fire away!!!!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm no expert but I think EGR is turned off during regen. The EPA allows disabling of exhaust treatment systems during certain periods of operation of engines (such as if engine damage would occur, if engine operation is a certain condition is a very small part of the time the engine is operating, etc.). I think DPF regen is a cycle where EGR is turned off so temperatures can be boosted to burn off the soot load in the filter.
makes sense

·
Registered
116 Posts
the dpf would fill up faster, requiring more regens, shortening the life of the filter

the exhaust gas into the egr is supposed to reduce nox, because of the cooler temps....now try to cool the exhaust gas post dpf during a regen...good luck.
Heard this is what the new Silverado Diesel is doing, I would think the DPF would clog less since the filtered exhaust after it would be fed into the egr.

The egr doesnt filter air in the current state so why would it clog the DPF sooner?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I emailed and received response that Oz Tuner has done the necessary deletes but are working on a security method...So basically they would rather develop something and keep it from the market than release it and have people copy there work.

Um, I bet they're talking about the security in the cars PCM and not so much the security on their tune.

These newer PCMs are nothing like the ones from just a few years ago.

The biggest issue with EGR on diesels is the cooler clogging with soot, coolers leaking coolant internally into the engines intake manifold / cylinders and EGR differential pressure sensors clogging up.

To get to the EGR cooler on some engines is NOT an easy task.

I haven't really looked at our engines but I'd be willing to bet it's not too hard on ours to replace in the future when needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Um, I bet they're talking about the security in the cars PCM and not so much the security on their tune.

These newer PCMs are nothing like the ones from just a few years ago.
Um, no you are flat wrong.

This PCM is fully supported by EFILive. It's nothing like the 2.0 platform. It's just that EFILive no longer deciphers the code to allow DPF & EGR delete otherwise anybody with the software could delete like the good old days, just costs you $125 for a VIN license.

So what I posted is accurate, they have unlocked the parameters but aren't willing to share because they can't properly secure it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Um, no you are flat wrong.

This PCM is fully supported by EFILive. It's nothing like the 2.0 platform. It's just that EFILive no longer deciphers the code to allow DPF & EGR delete otherwise anybody with the software could delete like the good old days, just costs you $125 for a VIN license.

So what I posted is accurate, they have unlocked the parameters but aren't willing to share because they can't properly secure it.
Were you given a timeline? Looks like trifecta won’t be tuning our Cruze CTD’s anymore.

TRIFECTA: Get Tuned. (2017 Cruze / Cruze Hatch Support Now Available!)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90882&share_tid=183746&url=https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183746&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
The egr doesnt filter air in the current state so why would it clog the DPF sooner?
EGR currently unfiltered goes through the engine and some (the majority?) of the soot that goes back through the engine is combusted instead of landing in the DPF. If we start taking EGR from after the DPF, 100% of soot from combustion lands in the DPF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi TDCruze, my wife's car is a 17' so yes 2nd gen. Fantastic car - i just wish we can delete all the emissions nonsense so we can maximize efficiency/longevity.
So I just got off the phone with a guy from oz tuning. It is in fact promising they’re working on tunes for the 2nd gen Cruze and the equinox TD. He couldn’t give me a release date due to them still apparently trying to lock the tunes in and then be reliable for the public. It is just a waiting game now.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
So I just got off the phone with a guy from oz tuning. It is in fact promising they’re working on tunes for the 2nd gen Cruze and the equinox TD. He couldn’t give me a release date due to them still apparently trying to lock the tunes in and then be reliable for the public. It is just a waiting game now.
This brings me much joy! What is meant by lock the tunes in? One tune is good for one VIN?

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
This brings me much joy! What is meant by lock the tunes in? One tune is good for one VIN?
Yes, for the Gen 1 tune customer must provide VIN at purchase and tune is locked to that VIN only.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Just in time for them to be discontinued - much like the 2nd gen Cruze Diesel. :ROFLMAO:

:(

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
One more question related to this. Was anything mentioned about hardware being developed to accompany such a tune? Curious for reasons...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Was anything mentioned about hardware being developed to accompany such a tune?
Their prior tune for Gen1 cars was compatible with DPF-equipped cars but had a warning that the highest HP boost setting (I believe it was +50 HP) would load the DPF with soot if you were doing lots of full-throttle acceleration. The web page warned that you had to let the car complete a regen and that continued use without doing that would plug the DPF to where it was basically destroyed.

Their DPF delete exhaust pipe required the engine tune. The engine tune was programmed to ignore a total lack of backpressure (unlike the stock ECU that would surely throw engine codes) but it would work fine if you left the DPF in place.

I believe the engine tune disabled the exhaust fluid injection for NOx reduction. It just ignored NOx sensors. You could leave the urea tank in place if you wanted or you could entirely remove it.

I do hope they develop a DPF delete exhaust pipe if they do an engine tune. Shouldn't be much work other than some basic welding and powdercoating to make a delete pipe.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Very good to hear! A number of us have been waiting for a tune to become available.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Also, I hate the waiting game haha

Thanks for sharing your inquiry, and keep us posted!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
22 Participants
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing