Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started doing some much needed service work on the new to me 2015 dwiesel cruze. I started with the throttle valve .It was nasty but a great easy task to undertake. All cleaned up and good to go. Next was the egr valve removing it was not too bad .when I got it out and looked it over it didnt look too bad but I was in there anyways so a bit of scrubbing with a small brush and we were in good shape or so I thought .
After cleaning the valve and walking bavk towards the car I noticed a dark fluid dripping from the car
It was running out of the egr passage which was open due to the valve being removed. The liquid was not oil . It seemed more water based
I am little concerned with the water being in there considering most of my driving is highway 30 miles per trip 2x a day
Has anyone experienced this ?
I am hoping its not a split egr cooler but I dont think it is, as it doest not use a noticeable amount of coolant

·
Registered
672 Posts
I haven't done my EGR cleaning yet but thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it's just moisture buildup from the charged air intake?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so but it seems odd obviously would be crankcase vapours if its not coolant (I really hope its not )I am concerned that it was present. Due to the highway driving I do I would have thought it would have got sucked into the cylinders? If someone with first hand knowledge could comment here that would be great! All being said the car works perfectly
The first time it went into a regen was about 750 kilometers ago . It was a scary ordeal the car jerked violently off and on for about 5-10 minutes.
After doing some research I found the cure seemed to be cleaning the throttle body and egr valve . The throttle valve was really bad 20% blocked I would say .the egr was not bad but I cleaned the little that was on it anyways . Last night driving home it did another regen and short of the higher fuel consumption it wasnt noticeable .
A big thank you goes out to those on the board that posted on the subject !
20210406_110620.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
23 Posts
There is a plate between the egr valve and what it bolts to. That plate has sealant on it and it acts as a gasket because there is actually coolant running around the bore that the egr valve sits in to cool the exhaust gasses. When you remove the valve that sealing plate will lose a bit of it's clamping force and start to seep some coolant into that bore. You likely saw what i saw when i had my valve off, coolant mixing with the soot in that bore then dripping down the side of the engine. It's gonna happen unless you drain the coolant to do the work, you should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts