Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many people know about the EGR cooler systems? Reason I'm asking because it may be doing nice damage to our cylinders. There's a air pipe that runs from the EGR to the fresh air intake. I work at a truck dealership and have seen new tricks come in due to oil consumption. Reason why is the EGR is sending the soot filled exhaust into the air intake to try and burn more to pass emissions. I understand that is part of what the EGR is supposed to do and that it stands for exhaust gas recirculation. I asked the tech what the fix is for this and he jokingly says remove the EGR. What ends up happening to these engines is that all the intake parts fill up with soot and the pistons get lots of carbon diposits on them. Cummins has the tech do a complete overhaul on the engine and have either scraping pistons or different liners that keep the deposits off. Just wondering if the CTD will have any of the same issues in the long run or if it's suck a small engine it won't matter. I know its not apples to apples because the cruze is a 2.0l and Cummins is a 14.9l.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have 138K miles on my CTD with zero oil consumption and no intake gunking issues. Still runs like new.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What system do you think is worse?
DPF system. DEF shouldn't be a big deal but can be because the computer can give you the countdown of death if it thinks something is wrong with it. It's all a bunch of crap if you ask me. Light duty diesels account for 0.2% of all diesel emissions in the USA yet IMO have some of the most complex, least user serviceable emissions systems on them. At least pulling out a DPF from a semi to get cleaned isn't anywhere near the big balls it would be for our car which I'm assuming might even need to be cut out and welded back in.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
what aboot the cooler?
All I can really say is there have been no drivability issues or indications of any problems with any of the systems that enable the car to run properly. So there is some assumption on my part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts