Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to turn on all 3 EGT sensors while driving. I noticed that EGT #2 seems to fluctuate by 100 to 200 degrees every second. it can be higher than egt 1 and lower than egt 3. and sometimes its right where it needs to be. This leads me to believe that the sensor will soon or eventually throw a code which is probably the most common code mentioned here on the forum. In addition i noticed that the recall has been removed from the chevy owner center.

Logically the egt temps should be highest at 1 then 2 then 3. Hoping it fails before i hit 36k, currently at 28k

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Well fluctuating is umm... Bad....

Otherwise your logic is flawed. Fuel burns in the DOC (after EGT1) which raises temps for EGT2 during a regen and the vehicle's warmup period.

And sometimes EGT 2 and/or 3 will be higher just because of how hot the dpf and cat is. I wouldn't worry too much about the dance. I have plenty of neat graphs showing the dance if you want :).

But yes... Fluctuating is bad... It shouldn't be doing that. Could just be a loose plug, I'm not sure where the plug runs off to but its that bent looking one about midway through the dpf.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
So i decided to turn on all 3 EGT sensors while driving. I noticed that EGT #2 seems to fluctuate by 100 to 200 degrees every second. it can be higher than egt 1 and lower than egt 3. and sometimes its right where it needs to be. This leads me to believe that the sensor will soon or eventually throw a code which is probably the most common code mentioned here on the forum. In addition i noticed that the recall has been removed from the chevy owner center.

Logically the egt temps should be highest at 1 then 2 then 3. Hoping it fails before i hit 36k, currently at 28k
Mine was replaced at 61K miles and emissions warranty covered it, so you have some time in case it does give out on you.

·
Registered
706 Posts
diesel meanwhile I was told its not covered under emission warranty

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,039 Posts
Mine was replaced at 61K miles and emissions warranty covered it, so you have some time in case it does give out on you.
I'm surprised - considering the federal warranty is only good for 2 years or 24k miles. If you have a Cali car, it is a longer warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Call me crazy but here's my observation after watching the EGT sensors on my Scangauge2. EG2 reacts the fastest to throttle input/engine load. I can be sitting at a stoplight at 400F and after 2 or 3 seconds of throttle it can be at 700 or more. Then the same can happen in reverse (slowing down). It'll drop quickly over a few seconds. Sensors EG1 and EG3 seem to react much slower. It will follow the pattern above but delayed by 15 or more seconds. with this, I believe sensor EG2 to be right at the turbo outlet. The other 2 seem to be farther down the exhaust system (ie: pre and post DPF).

Are your fluctuations instant or does it react over a couple seconds with a change in throttle position?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts