Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this Cruze a few weeks ago, and driving my car today at a highway something weird happened: vimeo.com/222851951

This is a used car, so I don't know if the recalls have been made. I heard there is a problem in the battery cable that could lead to this issue, could this be the issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Panel turning off while driving

I bought this Cruze a few weeks ago, and driving my car today at a highway something weird happened: http://www.vimeo.com/222851951

This is a used car, so I don't know if the recalls have been made. I heard there is a problem in the battery cable that could lead to this issue, could this be the issue?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I would start with the negative battery cable. It has been known to cause all sorts of weird electrical issues, some of like what you see there.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I bought this Cruze a few weeks ago, and driving my car today at a highway something weird happened: vimeo.com/222851951

Hopefully it is a cable, best not to drive it like that until the Dealer checks it out. The Repair might be free. The Dealer can also check for any open recalls or TSBs that apply. You can always check periodically with the GM recall center as well
https://my.gm.com/recalls

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What country are you in? I'm not sure if the battery cable is a problem outside of North America. I can tell you don't have a US-type DIC.

And what year? The factory batteries tend to last 2-3 years before they go - and they can cause all kinds of strange things if they're not up the task of filtering the power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My son's 2016 Limited had the same problem intermittently about 2 weeks after he got it. Had to bring it to the dealer for a software update. Hasn't been a problem since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What country are you in? I'm not sure if the battery cable is a problem outside of North America. I can tell you don't have a US-type DIC.

And what year? The factory batteries tend to last 2-3 years before they go - and they can cause all kinds of strange things if they're not up the task of filtering the power.
I am in Denmark. The car is from July 2013, so almost 4 years. It could be the battery indeed, however I haven't noticed a delay in starting the car or anything that would indicate the battery has difficulties holding energy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My guess is that there is a short in the vehicle wiring or within the gauge cluster itself. Personally, I would pull the gauge cluster out and trace the wires.

I don't think the 'battery cable', if you mean the cable that goes from the battery to the main fusebox, could cause that problem. I may be wrong though, lol.

-edit-

Do any of the other lights in or on the vehicle fade or go in/out? Radio? Climate Controls?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My guess is that there is a short in the vehicle wiring or within the gauge cluster itself. Personally, I would pull the gauge cluster out and trace the wires.

I don't think the 'battery cable', if you mean the cable that goes from the battery to the main fusebox, could cause that problem. I may be wrong though, lol.
Normally, I'd agree. But we're talking about a Cruze.

1) The Cruze is heavily computerized. More so than most cars. Just about everything goes though the BCM.
2) Computers of all types HATE bad power.
3) The US-built Cruze has a known issue with the battery cable. Because of this, members of the forum generally advise to make sure that's been taken care of before spending any time troubleshooting. Perhaps a bit simplistic, but not a bad idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the recall website, and my VIN doesn't return any remaining recall. What I am concerned about is that I can hardly reproduce the problem, for it happens under random occasions. I have had the car for one month and it happened only two times. With that said, I am sure I'll take it to the mechanic and he will not be able to reproduce the issue.

The only thing I could troubleshoot until now is that if I turn off the car and turn it on again, the problem disappears.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the recall website, and my VIN doesn't return any remaining recall. What I am concerned about is that I can hardly reproduce the problem, for it happens under random occasions. I have had the car for one month and it happened only two times. With that said, I am sure I'll take it to the mechanic and he will not be able to reproduce the issue.

The only thing I could troubleshoot until now is that if I turn off the car and turn it on again, the problem disappears.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
To the OP: Kindly create only one thread on the same subject.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I checked the recall website, and my VIN doesn't return any remaining recall.
The battery cable is not a recall. It's an extended warranty coverage. The work is only done if your car is experiencing problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.