Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I did a search but couldn't find this anywhere. I bought a used 2013 2LT about a month ago. There are 2 electrical devices attached to the windshield. On the pictures, the round one is on the passenger side and the rectangular one is on the driver's side. The rectangular one constantly flashes light. It flashes red, yellow, and green but haven't noticed any type of pattern or when it flashes. Does anybody know what these are or what the lights mean?

Attachments

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Best guess those are Navigation antennas .. some one added . I am unaware of the factory installing those there .

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with radio waves, but I'm not sure what the function is. Maybe to receive GPS, or some kind of transponder.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Was this car a rental? Those look like a GPS receiver and a transmitter to track a car. Definitely not factory installed and you should remove them ASAP. In fact, they should have been removed prior to resale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I just try to follow the wires and disconnect them? I have service scheduled at Chevy next Saturday. Should I ask them before I try to remove them? Why is it so imperative to remove them?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Should I just try to follow the wires and disconnect them? I have service scheduled at Chevy next Saturday. Should I ask them before I try to remove them? Why is it so imperative to remove them?
I would have Chevy remove them when you go for your service. I wouldnt want my vehicle being tracked by someone that is not me. I have multiple trackers in my car, but they are for my personal use, not a car companies.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
At least one of those devices is still active - it's flashing various lights. This is why I recommend getting them removed. Even if the transmitter has been turned off these two boxes are still tapped into the car's electrical system for at least power.

·
10,712 Posts
Was this car ever sold/leased by one of those outfits that sell/lease to people with poor credit? It might be something that allows them to remotely disable the car and easily repossess it.
We have a spot here like that where you pretty much get tricked into paying $250 every 2 weeks on a 2001 Ford Taurus until they can't afford it and snatch it back.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure looks something like this, but not sure why it has two of them.

Starter disable for vehicles with real time GPS tracking system

Under GPS tracking units.

Unless one if for the rental car company and the other is for the finance company.

Bit apprehensive about purchasing a vehicle used for a car rental, typically pounded to death. Also apprehensive even about renting a vehicle. Hertz gave me a damage report to sign first. When I looked at it, added a whole bunch of stuff on the clip board they missed so I wouldn't get struck with a repair bill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was at a place that offers guaranteed credit. Now I'm worried that the dealer won't be able to remove it either. Once I knew what to look for I found a similar question on another forum and that's wjat those people said they were also.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It was at a place that offers guaranteed credit. Now I'm worried that the dealer won't be able to remove it either. Once I knew what to look for I found a similar question on another forum and that's wjat those people said they were also.
The dealer can remove it as they have access to the original wiring diagrams for the car. You will need to take your bill of sale in though showing that the seller has released all rights to the car.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,232 Posts
EZ-PASS, FASTRAK, AutoPASS or other Electronic Toll Collection Device?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The dealer can remove it as they have access to the original wiring diagrams for the car. You will need to take your bill of sale in though showing that the seller has released all rights to the car.
I suspect the contract one signs to get a car with this device would strictly prohibit the user from disabling or removing the device.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum and was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I did a search but couldn't find this anywhere. I bought a used 2013 2LT about a month ago. There are 2 electrical devices attached to the windshield. On the pictures, the round one is on the passenger side and the rectangular one is on the driver's side. The rectangular one constantly flashes light. It flashes red, yellow, and green but haven't noticed any type of pattern or when it flashes. Does anybody know what these are or what the lights mean?
do you have pictures of your complete dash? Is everything oem?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Just something I found in trying to research this - at least one vendor installs a decoy unit. Removing it will trigger a message via the remaining unit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts